Field & Fish - Innovation in Fishing Clothing
When an experienced designer of outdoor clothing decided that he wanted to combine his talent with his passion for fishing a new brand was born. Field & Fish are based in France and produce some outstanding quality clothing with great design and innovations.
"Every true fisherman knows that the art of fishing is first and foremost a quest for harmony and balance with nature. Our Field & Fish line of apparel and accessories is an invitation to live your passion to the fullest. We offer finely finished functional designs coupled with the latest technical and recycled fabrics. Our quality equipment helps you focus on what's essential. Enjoy your fishing.
Catch your dream, release your passion - www.fieldandfish.com"
We recently hosted Field & Fish designers Frederic LeRoy and Herve Ory at the MacNab Media office where they took us through the lineup of products for 2012 and left us with some to test - from which Fish & Fly editor Paul Sharman picked some of his favourite items and designs below.
What really struck us overall though was the quality of the products across the range at the prices given. It is hard not to compare against the likes of Simms and Patagonia which Field & Fly compare very favourably to, yet the prices are considerably lower in many cases (take the Fishing Parka below for example).
This will make Field & Fish seriously worth considering for your next purchase of fishing clothing. Many of their items are also made from 100% recycled materials making them eco-friendly too. Just because this gear is marketed at the game angler don't for a moment think it is not perfectly suited to coarse fishing too; FishingMagic editor Ian Welch was equally impressed.
Parka Fishing Jacket (£99)
- Completely waterproof long jacket, to wear with our bib pants or waders, so you can carry on fishing in wet weather when the fish are biting while staying warm and dry.
- Interior with comfortable mesh lining.
- 2 large side pockets with adjustable bellows, hand warmer pockets on the side, 2 deep chest pockets closed by waterproof zip, 2 internal pockets.
- Sleeves adjustable by Velcro, draw cords at waist and bottom of jacket.
- Adjustable visor hood, internal wind skirt around hips.
- Excellent value for a well designed and finished jacket. Great wind protection and generous pockets throughout. I got a soaking the other night and the rain just brushed off this coat. Tried and tested!
- What I really liked apart from the overall functionality of the Parka and the low-noise material was the internal wind skirt which is elasticated and fastens via one of two sets of press-studs - this really cut out the wind from coming up and under the bottom of the jacket and was a real bonus particularly when not pairing the Parka with the matching bib-pants for example or just wearing it as an everyday rainjacket for which it is perfectly suitable too.
Technical Base Layer Top (£39)
- Keeps you warm while ensuring excellent moisture wicking . Interior in micropolar fleece, exterior in jersey.
- Quick dry treatment Zip-up collar.
- Underarm venting mesh for better moisture control.
- Sleeves with integrated mitten keeping palm and back of hands warm.
- Supplied in a pouch.
- Our technical base layer top gives a close fit: order one size larger if you want a looser fit.
- I have found this top to be very comfortable thanks to the micropolar fleece against the skin. As stated it is a close fit and so you will need to order a size larger than normal if you prefer a looser fit. It has become a regular addition to my fishing wardrobe.
- The zip-up neck also seals the garment nicely without being tight and the inclusion of the neat little cover for the zipper at the top stops that annoying chafing you can get on other similar tops.
- Despite venturing out for several long treks with this as my base layer over the winter covered with a shirt, fleece and jacket, I was very pleased to confirm the claims that the wicking properties of the material and underarm mesh stopped any sweating problems.
- The Supplex® ripstop offers UV protection while remaining soft, shrink proof, and quick drying.
- A padded interior band ensures comfort and absorbency, while mesh panels and interior mesh lining allow for ventilation.
- The specially designed collapsible visor allows you to fold your cap and pack it in the pocket of your choice.
- The ability to fold the cap in half and put it away in a pocket solves one of the baseball caps fundamental problems in my mind. I love wearing them when fishing but find them a problem when I take them off as they just get in the way. This seems such a simple solution I can't believe more manufacturers have not done this before. Genius!
- I hope there is a more robust all-weather cap to follow in the future as this one is primarily designed for summertime and tropical use (there is a also a second cap available with an integrated neck flap that folds away into a zippered compartment).
By the Same Author
- Bait-Tech Launch 'Street Squad'
- Salmon and Trout Association reports Sainsbury’s to Advertising Standards Authority and Trading Standards
- The Barbel Society, Barbel Show 2013
- Fobney Island Nature Reserve Opens
- Britain’s Biggest Pike
- Carp Fishing - The Essex Carp Championships
- Match Fishing – Angling Trust and Canal and River Trust Stillwater Championship 2013
- Record Salmon Lured by Rhino Spoon
- Eels Again - Fishermen Net Fines and Bans for Illegal Elver Fishing
- Match Fishing – Fish ‘O’Mania 2013 Heat Nine