New Wensum record?

Ginger

Reaction score
Does this mean that the circus will now move from the Ouse to the Wensum?

Darren Miles

Reaction score
Ginger you really don't have a clue do you.Please tell me 10 members of the "circus" that fish the Ouse,i'm assuming your talking about Adams mill.My bet is that you know nothing about Adams mill or any of its members.Explain to me what the "circus" actually means.I'm a member and i don't wear big shoes and face paint.Also i have no desire to go and fish the Wensum and as far as i know,nor do any of my friends.
If you knew anything about the Wensum stretch in question you'd know that its vitually a closed shop.
Why comment on something you know nothing about?

Dan Tungate

Reaction score
The River Wensum already has a 'circus', both local and national of it's very own. Anyone who witnessed the appaling debacle on the aforementioned website's Wensum River Reports page would attest to this.
There are only a handful of stretches that support Barbel on the river and only a number of swims at those locations that are viable.
For part time barbel angler such as myself the chances of being able to catch such a beatiful fish as the one pictured, anytime soon are very, very slim.
I could/would not ever knock the immense ammounts of hard work, knowledge and care a paticular anglers conservation association have put into the river on certain stretches saving, impending doom and turning them into flourishing habits for all the rivers flora and fauna.
There is a certain frustration that I can't drive for half an hour, fish a club stretch or pay a day ticket and stand a chance of catching a species of fish that I have a lot of experience of and respect for.
But supply outstrips demand on this river by at least 10 to 1.
The blame I would say falls fairly squarely at the feet of
the local water authority's astounding missuse of it's resources.
I am for one glad such fish are present in the river and happy for the anglers that catch them.
Having said that, I would rather while away the hours in pursuit of the lesser sought after species than involve myself in a contrary world of jealousy, secrecy, public slanging matches, rumours of illegal fish moving and potential lawsuits.

Dan T.

F

Fred Bonney

Now look what you've started, Jonny!

Great fish,no doubts about that.

Dan Tungate

Reaction score
I hope what I've have written is not regarded as being inflammatory as it was meant entirely not in that manner, nor as a response to the post above.
You have to be very careful how you word things on web forums or risk starting piscatorial warfare.
The whole 'circus' terminology is I think is a media perpetuation.
Specimen hunting and especially Barbel fishing seems to be the fastest growing and increasingly aspirational element of the sport.
There aren't the venues in most parts of the country to support this growth.
The priviliged few will, I fear, always 'get it' from those who can't.
A large scale re-think on the use or misuse of our waterways is the only way this situation will improve....