hooklength material

masso

Reaction score
I am new to barbel fishing, could some suggest hooklength material to use when ledgering for barbel.

Reaction score
hi masso i use braid you know them small spools that you can buy for the fox f box or if you havnt got any try flourocarbon also masso if you have the time if you fill in youre profile some people might be able to offer you better advice as they may know where you are going to be fishing ? but i would just like to say hi masso and welcome too the fm site

DEAN ASTON

Reaction score
On the severn (middle ) i use mono when fishing pellets .As i feel no need to use braid which can cause harm if it gets wrap around them. In winter last year i use strip teaze for bollies and meat . Which is ant -tangle and also pin down to the river bed. For bollies i strip some of it back (about 3 inches) meat no need too. Hope this has help

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Dean I have used braid for nearly two years now and have had no instances were braid got wrappeed round fish and caused damage.
Masso if you want to try braid look no further than Kryston it is the best by far .

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
my top 5 barbel hooklengths

Stealth skin(coated braid,strip back last 3 inches )
ESP sinklink 15lb(non coated braid,tough as old boots)
ESP stripteaze(again coated )
Wychwood gravel braid(coated in brown)
Korda IQ fluorocarbon 12lb(excellent clear condition hooklength,just dont use it with braid mainline-all the pressure is on the hooklength-leading to breakages)

Regards Matt

W

Wolfman Woody

If you want to use braid try the Fox Mega Silk 12 or 15lbs, but it needs to be kept away from any ledger weight. In the water it looks like a strand of weed.

If you want a coated braid, try Kryston Mantis Dark, this is the new colour. You can strip off the coating to provide a hair and a nice sift length to your choice just before the hook. The remainder of it will be stiff with the coating.

For monfilament, try a fluorocarbon material, but here again there are soft ones and stiff-ish ones. Which you use is up to you.

Lastly, there's the monofilament of your mainline. If you have confidence in it why not fish straight through?

DEAN ASTON

Reaction score
Gav sometimes you might need to use a long hook lenght on the severn . I feel braid could do some hard(cheese wire )thats why i use mono. Ulitima have brought out a new momn power plus whish im going to look in too .

S

Sean Meeghan

I use a short length of Drennan sinking micro braid for most rivers. If there's a risk of a weeded fish or a snaggy bottom then I'd use 10lb fluorocarbon. You don't need to use anything clever - Barbel aren't the brightest fish in the river!