Which to join?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Never been a member of any barbel soc / org etc, but I have very fond memories of the Barbel Catchers Club, at one time knowing many of its members and fishing with one of them, the totally dedicated, extremely thoughtful, highly successful Dave Williams, a lot. Used to enjoy meeting them all at NASA shows each year, having a chat and a beer, with a few of them even walking away with a rod / having placed an order when I had the Graham Phillips business.

Reaction score
Which club includes the members that have caught the most/biggest barbel between them?

That might be a good measure to help you make your decision.

Do either of them promote the eating of Stilton and embibing port as part of the barbel angling experience?

What are their views on the close season?

Reaction score
just been reading the web pages of both a bit more - both seem a little how shall I put it - ellitist

The Barbel Catchers can't be that elitist M'lud; they let me and Jeff Spiller in and we're both right scruffy ragamuffins! ;)

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Do either of them promote the eating of Stilton and embibing port as part of the barbel angling experience?

It's luncheon meat and Tizer in the BC...

Steve Hurst

Reaction score
Have you considered the new barbel group?

Barbel Anglers of Stillwater Tendencies As Rivers Difficult Sport...aka *******S.

Reaction score
I'm chairman of the Trent Waters Angling Trust...

We never fish the Trent... too easy!

And instead get our kicks winding up northern anglers who catch more but have less fun cos they're dour!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As I said earlier, I have never joined any of them (or any single-species outfit) - this did not mean that I disapproved of them and their committees (though in the paranoid years that followed, some might have felt I did) - this way, I could be the man and the Angler I am to all of their officers and members, irrespective of their particular affiliation or any backstory of personal "differences". Served me well for many years, at least until the "If you're not with us, you are against us" paranoia set in and bedded itself into the psyches of many modern Anglers.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
There you are m'lud. Mr Woodhouse said

"Ellitist? I'll say.

One organisation's Chair told me that I didn't deserve to be in their group. And I agreed, so I came out! "

Find the answer which one to join there......................(Smiley face - Jeff)

Nathan Walter

Reaction score
I can assure you that the ABF are not elitist. A good bunch of guys and all are welcomed. We have about 320 members, so its a mixed bunch obviously. At present no annual fee just a one off donation.

Status
Not open for further replies.