wensum

Bruce King

Reaction score
iam going to norfolk on the weekend 20/21st hopefully for some barbel fishing on the wensum with a few freinds and we are looking for some day ticket water to fish ,if not the wensum then where is the neares river containing barbel with day ticket access !!

thanks bruce.

Bruce King

Reaction score
steve b

thanks for that ,where would i get the tickets if its not to obvious being the bridge pub stretch (presuming the pub sells them ?)

steve B

Reaction score
Bailiff collects tickets on bank mate, about a fiver i believe.

blankety blank

Reaction score
Yes it is £5. If the pub is open when you arrive get your ticket there, otherwise teh bailiff will call round. no night fishing on a day ticket though.

the barbel here are not numerous, but there is a chance of a good one. Plenty of big bonus chub too.

I am not aware of any other day ticket barbel fishing on the Wensum. The only other stretches with good barbel fishing are all syndicated, or private.

Regrettably there is no other barbel fishing close by. If you are a barbel enthusiast and live in norfolk (like me) then it is either the Lea or the Trent....

Dan Tungate

Reaction score
It is a lovely stretch of the river but as Blankety Blank says there aren't that many Barbel in the stretch.
You'll be able to see where the 'hot' swims are by the wear on the bank. It is fairly heavily fished and to say the fish are a bit spooky is an understatement...
It's a shame you can't still fish the pool as I'm sure thats where the bulk of the action would be..
But ?5 for a day on the river is good value... Theres some big Chub in that stretch too..

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Why not higher your sights and go for the chub /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Some nice day ticket water at Swanton Morley, and its easy safe parking.

Either that or you can always try sweet-talking Chris T, he can usually be found hanging around one of the bridges on the NACA waters.

Karen C

Reaction score
Hi John,

That is about an hr from here, I have about 11 people coming to Norfolk and because I normally only fish a few commercials or the good ole Norfolk Broads I'm not to sure on where we can all go.....Someone did mention to Bruce about Hellesdon Mill but I know nothing about that at all.............

it's all gone a bit pete Tong on the Barbel front hahahhaa

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Karen/Bruce

I'm not sure whether the Lenwade County House Hotel issue day tickets but one of the local CSG lads fishes the water so they could well do. It's just downstream of one of the NACA syndicate waters so I would imagine itwill have a 'traveller' or two.

Could be worth a telephone call.

I'll dig out the notes from our last weekend down there; several day ticket andfree waters listed, sadly don't know of their barbel potential.

As I said, aim higher /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifand go chubbing

Karen C

Reaction score
John, to be honest I don't mind in the slightest what I catch - I know most have the same views ...I have never caught a Chub so be an experirnce for me /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Any note you have John will be highly appreciated form all of us thank you

petehodgy

Reaction score
just a note to the anyone who lives near lenwade is the river around the common ponds across the road from the bridge public house not on a day ticket anymore ? these ponds used to good fishing with some good bream and tench and the river was close to . its been a long time since i stopped at the bridge

blankety blank

Reaction score
600 yards immediately downstream of the bridge is day ticket . Same ticket to fish the lake or the river. £5 from the bailiff who calls round.

petehodgy

Reaction score
i mean the ponds above the bridge i think there are three and they are quite deep they are known as the common ponds

blankety blank

Reaction score
Pete, these are known either as Lenwade common lakes or the fuel allotment charity lakes.

unless things have changes relitively recently, they can be fished on a day ticket during weekdays but not weekends. cost £8 last time i went. unfortunately one of the lakes is home to a 50lb carp, and this has been exploited by those who set the prices. A season ticket is now silly money.

The tench fishing is fabulous though, gin clear water, lost s of weed, 10ft under the rod tip. You can take them on the float with no problem with traditional tactics and baits. It opens for business on 1 May I believe.

You can also fish a short stretch of the wensum on the same ticket.

petehodgy

Reaction score
thanks for the info like i say its a long time since i have been down that way as i live in stockport just outside of manchester but i used to stay at the bridge public house when darren had it i must get down there this year and give it a go. i loved the chub fishing on the river thanks again