WINTER BAIT

RedRobbo

Reaction score
Was thinking of using a boilie wrapped in halibut paste ( made from halibut pellets as suggested on here ) as have struggled to get any bites on halibut pellets and lots of different flavoured luncheon meats and bacon grill , can anyone give advice on what boilie to use regarding flavour and size, do i use a smaller boilie as i will be wrapping paste round it and do i use a completely different flavoured boilie so when the paste dissolves i have a different back up scent..........any help appreciated.. cheers

RedRobbo

Reaction score
Paul, River swale water low and clear not much of a flow, even tried a bunch of maggots but getting plagued by minnows........cheers

Paul Boyle 2

Reaction score
Hi robbo

Your bait is probaly fine m8,but the conditions arnt,if its clear and low your gonna find it hard,you have to serch them out ,look for features in the river,thay are there for shore,try around bends,snaggy areas,thay are grouped up somewhere,try to find out where thay are,spend sometime looking for the barbs,rarther that messing around with baits for a while,you might findas i do on the teme ,you will run into a load of chub,does this happen ??if so keep looking,i find by watching i learn more.

remember keep moving,20 mins a spot or so.

hope this will help you

paul

Deanos

Reaction score
I had a blanker on the Swale last Friday Robbo. It can be a bit of a heartbreaker.

The "mid Swale match" was on Saturday, I would be interested to know the returns if any of the Yorkshire lads know the result.

I would have liked to fish into the evening but had to get home, next week should see a late session and hopefully I should catch (ever the optimist /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif).

The smaller rivers are fishing very well for me at the moment after Dark, maybe two barbs a session is far from high in most peoples books, but I am learning a hell of a lot along the way. The first three hours of darkness are seeing plenty of bites and fish for me on the Nidd.

Good luck Robbo.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Forget the barbel whilst it is cold and clear and have a go for the chub with a bit of crust and a small cage feeder.

If you are solely focused on barbel then try casters and micro pellets in a small feeder with an entreprise rubber caster ona hair to ward off the minnows.

Paul's advice is good.The fish are not likely to be avctively looking for food but may take a bait presented close to them so be active.

Paul Boyle 2

Reaction score
But not all is lost,what i do when the going gets tough is be contented with the chub,infact i think thay are a more beautiful fish than the barbs,however that doe,s not help rob,try instead of coaxing them out at the moment with maggots get some micro pellets instead,keep looking around queitly into the water if you can,if you do find a few,dont just cast into then trckle a few pellets in see if you can get them to feed ,if the chub start taking them,the barbel might be triggered into action.

Its not imposible to catch barbel in low temps but only ppl who have put at for years and more importently,know the streach of river thay are fishing can do it,not meny can go to a new venue and catch in low temps beleave me.

Try to remember in low clear waters the barbel are alert to everything around them and staying away from feeding,so make sure if you do find a few, be steathly,and make sure when you deliver your bait ,its quiet and soft.

keep at it robbo

paul

B

Bully

I doubt the rivers temp has lowered that much yet, all we have had is the odd frost.

I haven't been out for 8 weeks, are the rivers generally running low at the moment?

RedRobbo

Reaction score
Cheers for the advice lads, i finally got my first barbel yesterday on boilie and paste but i dont think it was too much down to the bait but down to location,location ( and a lot of luck).................cheers /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Robbo,

Winter barbel fishing is all about location first and foremost, get that part right and you can expect sport in most conditions. For low clear conditions I favour a moving bait approach and the simplest most effective way of delivering that is under a float. Best baits when cold is undoubtedly casters and hemp but "don't" remain strictly static but move swims within the general area if no bites occur after a few trots through. Use a stick or avon if the flow allows or a waggler if the flow is slower. If ledgering on boilee/pellet etc in the same conditions try upstreaming starting off with a cast made to the far bank with just enough lead to hold bottom. After ten minutes and no bites lift the rod to dislodge the lead for a few yards and allow it to settle again. Repeat this until the far bankupstream has been covered. Then repeat with a cast made to the middle following the same proceedure, then the near bank until the whole section has been covered, that way you search the area upstream properly without leaving your seat and any fish lying around should be found.

Regards,

Lee.