FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FRESHWATER FISHING FORUMS > Barbel Fishing
Register Forums Blogs Classifieds FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 13:36

Jim Crosskey 2 is on a distinguished road
Default wye waste my time?!?

So it looks like the weather is going to stay coming at us from the north/east for the rest of the season. Day time temps will barely break 7 degrees, night time will do well to get over freezing. Given these conditions, does anyone here think a barbel trip to the wye is a realistic ambition?

Normally I'd just go.. but for me the wye is enough of a trip that I'll probably look to book accommodation somewhere the night before (£30) and the wye and usk foundation isn't cheap (£20 day ticket) and there's petrol (at least £25) and bait (probably best bit of £20). Chuck in dinner at the pub the night before and we're talking a £100+ trip.

So, worth the bother or not?

(Incidentally, if anyone on here is a long range weather forcaster who knows about a nice big south westerly blow coming in before the season ends then I'm all ears!! )
Old 26-02-2013, 14:20

rubio is on a distinguished road
Default Re: wye waste my time?!?

I'm not a forecaster but I feel certain a fat warm south westerly will blow in sometime just after the season ends. (If it does really end)
Old 26-02-2013, 14:29

meat63 is on a distinguished road

I was in the same kafuffle as you going to the River Trent , it costs me about 30 quid with two of us going thats each , still not cheap really, we got there and the lakes opposite were frozen and we thought oops could be a bad move this , we carried on regardless and stopped and talked to an angler as we did , he got a run resulting in a nice barbel,that boosted us up no end , conditions were cold , river was up about 6ft and well coloured , so to cut a long story short we blanked I lost several feeders and rigs as you do , we packed up in the end and stopped on way out to talk to the same angler and he'd had 12 fish all barbel , so that made me think wrong peg selection even though I moved three times , it was a learning curve though and we got some very good information that we wouldnt of if we hadn't been there , which will put us in good stead for the next time we visit. If you can afford it do it , it you cant fish closer to home , but even one barbel in bad conditions can make your day , even if it costs you 100 quid I really want to get back on it but am going to wait till last minute if I have to to see if weather turns favourable , if it dont then Im going to bite the bullet and just go .
Old 26-02-2013, 16:09

chav professor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Crosskey 2 View Post
So it looks like the weather is going to stay coming at us from the north/east for the rest of the season. Day time temps will barely break 7 degrees, night time will do well to get over freezing. Given these conditions, does anyone here think a barbel trip to the wye is a realistic ambition?

Normally I'd just go.. but for me the wye is enough of a trip that I'll probably look to book accommodation somewhere the night before (£30) and the wye and usk foundation isn't cheap (£20 day ticket) and there's petrol (at least £25) and bait (probably best bit of £20). Chuck in dinner at the pub the night before and we're talking a £100+ trip.

So, worth the bother or not?

(Incidentally, if anyone on here is a long range weather forcaster who knows about a nice big south westerly blow coming in before the season ends then I'm all ears!! )
take some cheese paste and a few loaves of bread and find a chub shoal

It was very low and clear weekend just gone - mostly got takes well into darkness. Feeder or float fishing maggot would have been the way to go in day light

Great venue mind....... Got to be in it to win it!
Old 26-02-2013, 17:35

aebitim is on a distinguished road

Never know with the Wye, fishing Sunday and Monday next, With the river low the chub will more than likely feed and the barbel are probably going to make an appearance. The weather, though cold, has been reasonably settled which is a good sign and temperatures are forecast to rise slowly over the next few days.
Old 26-02-2013, 19:18

Michael Loveridge 2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was on the upper Wye weekend gone ..... river in very good condition , but very cold !
Old 26-02-2013, 23:13

Looks like I probably better go then!
Old 26-02-2013, 23:43

split shot is on a distinguished road

A big change on the way, should arrive around the 6th.
Old 27-02-2013, 07:17

chav professor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Crosskey 2 View Post
Looks like I probably better go then!
TAKE MAGGOTS.....lol.....

I love the Wye... you wait, I'll take 4 pints of maggots and it will be 9ft up and over the bank next year.....
Old 27-02-2013, 07:50

You didn't say what kind of change! Could be snow and ice judging by the luck we've had so far this season!!

If that is a change for the better then its game on.

Chub? Cheesepaste? Bread? Love em all to bits, and that's what I'm generally doing this time of the year on the Thames, which runs through the town where I live. So if I wanted to go for chub, then somewhere closer to home would be a good choice.

(In fact it makes it harder... To contrast the trip i mentioned above, at home there's a river I could walk to, on a permit I get for free for being a town resident, bait bill of a fiver... And a good chance of a six pounder at least... But no Barbel, or at least nothing like the numbers in the wye)

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:38 ----------

And Meat, you're right in as much as whatever I learn on the trip could be useful for the next...

just checked again and it IS looking like it might get just a little bit warmer...