Barbel Fishing: The Pope’s River Diary

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Rich

Can't see what big fish has to do with it, it's all about the right set up on the right river in the right swim, and then playing the fish in the right manner.

Perhaps you could have asked the same of the well known match angler you had to the last conference/show you organised.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Benny you are so right.

Everyone has a right to express an opinion, no one argues with that.

If I felt inclined I could quite easily respond to everything that has been said on here and that would be my view and opinion.

What would be the point? The thread would just go on and on...........very boring for all save three or four hell bent on venting their personal vendetta in what I consider to be a nasty, vindictive fashion.

So I take a view that people can see through what is written by a very small number who have their own personal grievance because that really is what it is and then make their own decision.

You may also take a view that people do and that is why they do not join or leave a fishing organisation!

I took a view some time ago that there very little point in trying to engage on a public forum because some will only see what they want to see.

But if I write in the capacity of a monthly Diarist I consider it only right if I am asked questions about the content but I too reserve the right to decide who I wish to converse with. Thats only fair and reasonable.

All the best.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Moderation comment:

. . . . . . this thread is being re-opened on the complete understanding that the moderation team will not allow any personal or insulting comments to be made at all.

Please show some decorum in posting and stick to points of order/information, question and answer.

Last edited:

black kettle

Reaction score
Firstly,

Many thanks Peter for taking the decision to reopen this thread. For many of us this is not about personalities, but about how the society is being run and how its chairman appears to be doing very little about reversing the Barbel Societies demise whilst taking every opportunity via his "River Diary" to promote his sponsors and himself.

I liken these criticisms to your own, and mine, along with many others, who have leveled criticism at the Angling Trust in the past many times. For all of us, and especially mine, these criticisms did not lay at the feet of any individuals within the Trust but the general way the Trust appears to be doing business. These on line criticisms are aimed with the specific purpose of registering protest whilst hoping that via on going criticism things might change for the better towards change that will result in angling becoming unified. Angling is not unified simply because of how the Trust does business, especially on the recruitment front.

This is exactly the same case with how the BS is being run which involves members, past members and founding members leveling their own protests on how the BS is being run and yes Peter, a lot of these protests and complaints are leveled at Steve Pope because he is the chairman and has "ALWAYS" been the public voice for the society since he became the un elected chairman. He has also been the major driving force on BS policy since he took the chairmans role unlike the Angling Trust who have many driving forces.

The BS started off with its founding members who built the society under the auspices of a ratified constitution. That constitution has been altered and changed to the one it operates under today which gives the chairman ultimate power and virtually no voice for the membership under any voting system that is common practice in many other groups, societies, associations and clubs. To my knowledge Steve Pope has never been elected or re elected by the membership. This was NOT how the BS began life and was NOT what the founding members agreed upon. Therefore, over the years since Steve Pope has been in power some of the founding members along with some ex committee members and certainly many ex barbel society members have raised their voices of concern many many times over how they see Steve Popes role and how it has been effecting the Barbel Society.

Peter, these have always been genuine concerns and genuine criticisms. Has change come via these criticisms? Even Richard Frampton himself said on this very thread he left the BS committee because of lack of change. But he is not alone of course because other committee members have done the same along with many members who have left also.

It is almost certain that the concerns of many are now being justified as the Barbel Society goes into decline being a shadow of its former self. If things carry on the way they are under the present chairmans leadership I can see the Barbel Society disappearing altogether as it shrinks to the point where it becomes an unviable organisation. The founding members don't want that nor do the many ex members who left because of the direction it was going in.

So cutting to the chase. As a disgruntled ex member, twice in membership because I gave it a go a second time hoping for change, this is what I would like to see happen.

I would urge Steve Pope to resign his position as Barbel Society chairman. That there be a reversal of the BS constitution back to the one the BS was originally founded upon. That there be free and open elections within the membership who elect their own chairman, treasurer and secretary along with a full committee and that all officer roles be for the tenure as was ratified within the original constitution. From that, I would hope that a new team heading up the Barbel Society would be able to stop the rot and reverse the decline making the BS a fully democratically operated society for all barbel anglers to join and support. I am certain if all this happened the many hundreds of ex BS members would re-join the BS.

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
"...... That there be a reversal of the BS constitution back to the one the BS was originally founded upon. That there be free and open elections within the membership who elect their own chairman, treasurer and secretary along with a full committee and that all officer roles be for the tenure as was ratified within the original constitution...."

Surely such a change can only really be effected from within the current society and only if there is a consensus to do it (and a willingness to see it through). Any non/ex members, including myself, rightly have no influence over that action.

If there is sufficient opinion and desire outside the existing society, what is to stop that body of opinion starting up an entirely new group with those original aims and aspirations?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Neil...thats already happened with the ABF, i dont know how they judge there membership numbers as its only a matter of a donation to join the forum. which i presumme i'd still be classed a member of...despite having nothing to do with them, fish there waters or contribute on the forum. my memebrship lapsed with BS as i have nothing personal to gain from it nor the time to copntribute anything to, i joined i suppose as a thankyou to Pete Reading and R&C funds he passed onto the ea for work on our stretch of the cherwell.

the thing is i dont think the BS will ever revive itself to its highest numbers, peple just aint interested, its just old hat. but if you want to be part of it and you enjoy it why not despite how its run

thecrow

Reaction score
Neil...thats already happened with the ABF, i dont know how they judge there membership numbers as its only a matter of a donation to join the forum. which i presumme i'd still be classed a member of...despite having nothing to do with them, fish there waters or contribute on the forum. my memebrship lapsed with BS as i have nothing personal to gain from it nor the time to copntribute anything to, i joined i suppose as a thankyou to Pete Reading and R&C funds he passed onto the ea for work on our stretch of the cherwell.

the thing is i dont think the BS will ever revive itself to its highest numbers, peple just aint interested, its just old hat. but if you want to be part of it and you enjoy it why not despite how its run

Membership numbers of the ABF are around 430, some were I believe removed from member numbers last year. the membership numbers are viewable by anyone that can access the forum.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just had a look at the ABF and found I have been removed.............Oh well.

black kettle

Reaction score
I removed myself Adrian.

Single species groups have had their day. The next generation want more. They are all on facebook.

Personally I'm just happy going down the pub for angling chit chat. No joining fees, no dreary as dross magazine, no idiot telling you what to do. With plenty of beer on tap. Real ale, real world.