barbel rods

bones71

Reaction score
I am planning on fishing the Severn near Ironbridge-is a Korum Neoteric 1.5lb rod suitable?Bit of a noob question 'cause I'm something of a barbel noob!

cal_sutt

Reaction score
I've not fished the Severn before so as for holding bottom I don't know what sort of weight you need to hold bottom, I'd imagine that 3oz is probably the sort of weight needed. As well as this, there's some monstrous barbel in the Severn so I'd probably recommend you go for a higher TC just in case you get something seriously big. Take a look at the Korum 1.75lb Barbel Rod as it's only 50 pounds and should do the job.

Steve2020

Reaction score
There are quite a few pegs near bridgenorth where you'll need a 4oz feeder to hold bottom although once full off bait you'll be looking nearer 5oz which will need only a gentle swing rather than a full blooded cast otherwise you'll damage a 1.5lb test curve Rod.
I'd personally give it a go before spending on another Rod.
I use a 1.75 lb test curve Drennan Martin bowler barbel Rod which is a cracking piece of kit but sometimes I do wish it had a little more sensitivity in the tip which you'd get from your current Rod.
Have fun on the Severn it's a great place to be especially if you catch it on the right day

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Bones give it a go on the rod you have, after all there's plenty of fish hooked and landed on float rods over the years as long as your line strength is correct.

If you have trouble launching feeders above 3ozs then why not look at fishing the same thing but upstream. Cast up and across and keep your spool open on touch down but with your finger feathering the feeder down to the bottom, then feed a bow into your line (as big a bow as is required to leave the lead/feeder in position), keep the rod high and look for drop back bites. Usually this is a sudden knock/pull followed by the lead/feeder bimbling off down the swim with the fish attached.

A lot of the swims in the park at Ironbridge are suited to this method.