Barbel rivers in South east near Kent

wooster

Reaction score
Hi

I'm in Kent but looking to try some river fishing for barbel and chub in a pacey bit of river (like the Wye or somewhere that you see on the fishing programmes). It seems that I will have to travel a fair bit to find one. 80 miles or so to the Kennet at Padhurst is too much of a stretch to make joining a club there likely, but I wonder if the river Mole would suit? I don't know it but it looks pretty from the pics I've seen and reports of barbel and trotting a float down the river make it seem like it might be just the job. Still a 40 mile drive but probably the nearest I will find. If so, any recommendations for a club?

Alternatively, the River Arun down at Petworth seems to be likely. A longer drive or around 60 miles though. Would this be a better bet?

Any advice on how to proceed?

wooster

Reaction score
Thanks Hugo, I had wondered if, in addition to the upper Medway, it was worth also travelling a little bit for a "river Wye type experience". However, I now notice that there is quite a lot of varied fishing in that area and if the Arun is difficult then it's not for me - I'm not experienced enough for a challenge I'm afraid :)

I will probably stick with just the Medway and surroundings which seems to offer a lot and is local

Last edited:

wooster

Reaction score
Hi Chris. No I hadn't thought of that. I will check it out. Thanks