In-line or "traditional" feeder?

B

binka

It might be worth a punt in a deep, heavy flow to go with something like the ESP Mega Method Feeder either in a shop bought or homemade version... I've had some nice fish this season using these in the 100grm size with the slight adaptation of removing the semi-fixed rig clip and replacing it with a swivel and a bead to protect the knot which makes it a free running rig.

Personally I think the flat profile is better in strong currents and if you soak some pellets the evening before for a minute a millimetre plus three or four minutes on top you can really compress them onto the mould so that it stays there for some considerable time whilst very slowly leaking off particles and creating a very heavy draw from the large mound of feed.

I've had mine out for the best part of an hour in strong flows and there's still been a good third of the feed on the feeder when retrieved so all of that time it's working for you.

You really need to overfill the mould and squeeze the pellets onto the feeder until your hands hurt but it works.

Last edited:

Paul Neate

Reaction score
slight adaptation of removing the semi-fixed rig clip and replacing it with a swivel and a bead to protect the knot which makes it a free running rig

What's your objection to the semi-fixed rig? And what length of line are you using between feeder and hook?

Last edited:
B

binka

What's your objection to the semi-fixed rig? And what length of line are you using between feeder and hook?

I've not got an objection to semi-fixed as such, I just don't see the need for it when barbel fishing as they pretty much hook themselves and the free running rig just gives me a bit more confidence should a fish snag up which, thankfully, hasn't happened as yet.

I've been using hook lengths up to six feet.

Paul Neate

Reaction score
binka, thanks for the info. Might give it a try -- if I do, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Paul