In-line or "traditional" feeder?

Paul Neate

Reaction score
I've been using the Nisa Big Pig feeders on the Waal in 90 and 120 g weights, and I have found the "power gum" through the middle of the feeder is really stretching on the cast (and stays stretched after a while), especially with the heavier weight, with the result that the pellets are scattering during the cast.

Do you think it would be better to use the in-line version in the heavier weights, or is there a better feeder out there?

Paul Neate

Reaction score
The Nisa feeder has a power gum link running through the middle so the top can be easily popped off. The ring for attaching to your mainline is attached to the end of the power gum link -- no other option that I can see.

River Blockend Big Pig

Andy M

Reaction score
The Nisa feeder has a power gum link running through the middle so the top can be easily popped off. The ring for attaching to your mainline is attached to the end of the power gum link -- no other option that I can see.

River Blockend Big Pig

I see what you mean but does not that make it a fixed rig which I would not fancy using esp on the Waal. i.e. if a fish wraps your main line round a rock and cuts it the feeder remains attached to the fish or am I missing something (again :)) . I always use running rigs or semi fixed to avoid this.

laguna

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that feeder but if the purpose of the powergum is to keep the end on under tension then you need a refund! either that or use a drennan rig stop pushed up against it to keep it closed while casting.

Inline for me everytime.

Edit: Actually forget that, you wont get one on use spit washers or something?

Last edited:

Paul Neate

Reaction score
I see what you mean but does not that make it a fixed rig

I attach a link swivel to the ring at the top of the feeder, and run the main line through the eye of the swivel, so creating a running rig. I agree with you whole heartedly about the risk of tethering a fish if the main line breaks above the feeder.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
i gave up with those block end nisa feeders years ago with the gum for the same reason, the in lines are good but personally only use in lines for fishing close in. a standard open ended i use for distance as you feel like your in better direct contact.

thers plenty of makes ot there such as fisky's and alike

Paul Neate

Reaction score
i gave up with those block end nisa feeders years ago with the gum for the same reason, the in lines are good but personally only use in lines for fishing close in. a standard open ended i use for distance as you feel like your in better direct contact.

thers plenty of makes ot there such as fisky's and alike

Thanks for the feedback Jason. I looked at Fisky's page, but it doesn't look like he does block-end feeders. I've also looked at Korum's combi-feeders, but they are a wicked price (4.50 euros a piece here in the Netherlands)! Any other ideas?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
What are you trying to do, is it ground bait mix or just loose pellets through the feeder on running water?

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For fishing deep rivers I would use the pellet and groundbait method fished with a homemade feeder cut from a length of sink drainage pipe, a 3Mtr length will make dozens and costs peanuts.

Because it has no holes in the sides the bait will not wash out as it falls through the water column but should release after a few minutes on the riverbed.

How often you cast is subjective and dependant on so many variables you could write a book on it, in fact several books have been written and a google search might help as some of them are now available on the authors websites (try Bob Roberts).

laguna

Reaction score
For fishing deep rivers I would use the pellet and groundbait method fished with a homemade feeder cut from a length of sink drainage pipe, a 3Mtr length will make dozens and costs peanuts.

Because it has no holes in the sides the bait will not wash out as it falls through the water column but should release after a few minutes on the riverbed.

How often you cast is subjective and dependant on so many variables you could write a book on it, in fact several books have been written and a google search might help as some of them are now available on the authors websites (try Bob Roberts).

I would wholeheartedly agree with that particular solution as its cheap as chips and practical in every sense. I made 2 of these for the tidal trent, one is a capped off pipe at both ends about 4 inches long with 1/2 inch holes drilled attached via a big brass swivel (one end screws off for filling the other end is glued with polypipe cement) packed tightly with pellet and damp crumb so it stays in until it settles on the bottom, the other is exactly the same but with smaller holes in the sides and capped off at one end only with a bigger one in the cap to allow contents to flush through. Cost me all of a few mins to make from an old sink replacement job :)

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I have to agree with Mr Williams when it comes to blockend vs open, I just can't get my head around putting pellets inside a block end expect them to get to river bed disperse on the river bed then strike and lift an empty feeder off the bottom without leaving a trail of pellets all the way to and thro from the bank. The physics/mechanics of it all just don't add up for accuracy and a bottom feeding fish

I know match anglers and "some" speci anglers use this approach but me no. Again I would agree with Mr Williams about making your own particularly if you are on a brutal river, you will get a better understanding of how a feeder works, ground bait mixes, pellet size, what balanced tackle means, longer lasting feeders, hooklength length and it will be cheaper compared to being lazy like me and find myself buying korum tackle as the big opens are pretty good......the korum tackle buying is currently on review due to reasons beyond my control

It's fun and rewarding making feeders for a fraction of shop bought......simple as that

Good luck
Jason

Andy M

Reaction score
Like the idea of the home made pipe feeders and will have a go. How do you fix the lead? You can get add on leads in various weights here with fold over taps on each end so I guess a couple of slots cut in to the pipe piece would do it.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
There's so many simply ways,cutting roofing lead into strips the easiest. You can move on to moulding your own leads with shop bought moulds

You just need an ounce of imagination and creativity

laguna

Reaction score
Like the idea of the home made pipe feeders and will have a go. How do you fix the lead? You can get add on leads in various weights here with fold over taps on each end so I guess a couple of slots cut in to the pipe piece would do it.
No lead on mine Andy, the weight of a full pipe is right for casting and the plastic is the sinking type so stays on the bottom after the contents have washed out.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I make my own clip on leads and moulds, the moulds are made from well seasoned hardwood and cut out with a router, a bit of trial and error with some cheap softwood will soon give you the dimensions but tbh the weight is not critical, I have settled on three different sizes, small medium and large with small being around 1 Oz med around 2 Oz and large around 4 Oz, a combination of these covers all the fishing situations I have ever needed.

I cut the pipe with a chop saw and am presently using the tube off an old vacuum cleaner which is bomb proof.

For a feeder link I am using an old fly line, cut a piece about 6" in length, thread a swivel onto it so it hangs in the middle, holding one end of the line between the forefinger and thumb of each hand and twist the ends in opposite directions which will create a twisted feeder link then simply tie a figure of 8 knot to hold it all together. Pass the tail of the lead through the knor end of the loop and fold the lead round the tube. Homemade open end feeder, done.

It's much easier to do than describe and I usually make mine at the venue.

Paul Neate

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their constructive and helpful ideas on this -- I've learned a lot. Now, to put it into practice...

Paul Neate

Reaction score
I have to agree with Mr Williams when it comes to blockend vs open, I just can't get my head around putting pellets inside a block end expect them to get to river bed disperse on the river bed then strike and lift an empty feeder off the bottom without leaving a trail of pellets all the way to and thro from the bank. The physics/mechanics of it all just don't add up for accuracy and a bottom feeding fish

Well, I tried the groundbait feeder approach on Saturday, with plenty of pellets mixed in with a breadcrumb, maize, paneer and crushed hemp base. Fished for about 3 hours with not so much as a twitch. Switched to the blockend feeder with 4 mm pellets (only because I had lost all the heavy mesh feeders I had with me), and got a bite first cast.

Highly unscientific experiment -- I guess that all it shows is that if there is a fish there you will get a bite almost irrespective of what tactics you are using.

A

alan whittington

Well, I tried the groundbait feeder approach on Saturday, with plenty of pellets mixed in with a breadcrumb, maize, paneer and crushed hemp base. Fished for about 3 hours with not so much as a twitch. Switched to the blockend feeder with 4 mm pellets (only because I had lost all the heavy mesh feeders I had with me), and got a bite first cast.

Highly unscientific experiment -- I guess that all it shows is that if there is a fish there you will get a bite almost irrespective of what tactics you are using.

Paul try this,soften 6mm halibuts by putting very hot water on them,draining and leaving in a sealed bucket overnight,these are just for capping each end of the feeder,so a few pints should be enough for a long session,then feed 8mm dry in the middle,the damp 6mm's will be very slightly more buoyant than the dry's so will drift quicker out of the swim,if your river is that quick regularity of casting will need working out to maintain a baited swim,your 4mm pellets will be leaving your swim rapidly after leaving your blockend ,so a 3-4 foot hooklink is advisable below an open ender,if you use a decent sized pellet on the hair,i would suggest feeding the odd pellet of similar size in the open end feeder,if you need to cast more regularly a slightly smaller feeder may be an idea,its worth a go.

Last edited: