Long range feeder rods

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I'm looking to ghetting a pair of rods for the tench and bream on a water. The water is about 32 acres and the furthest spots will be around 90-140 yards away. I'd probably not fish at the maximum but certainly between 70-90 yards. I put this in the barbel section because I feel I'd need something around the 2lb tc though I understand it's more about the action and casting weight. Block and open end feeders so probably at least 2oz to hurl and more likely to be 3oz+. There are also carp present that go over 30lb and I may get lucky with those at times.
The budget isn't there really so £50 per rod would be nice. I can get Korum,Shaky and Youngs rods for that price and the 30+ Kodex specimen as well which is slightly higher in cost. A fair few of the rods I've looked at (online) tend to be a more through action, I reckon I'd need something a bit tippier to aid casting and hook setting. Grauvell and Wychwood are 2 other names I'm looking for info on.
I've done a search here and the Korum seems to find favour though not universal.
Opinions or thought folks?
Mucho gracias.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Shimano Purist Brench would be absolutely spot on, but for the price. I know of a few anglers that have given them a try and rushed to buy a set.
I haven't come across anything quite like them closer to the price you'd like to pay.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
second hand might be the way to go, seem to be lots of 2lb and 2.25lb tc rods from 15 years ago that people chop in for more current style, might be worth considering? Though again, you might struggle with the "through" vs "casting" action style.

Possibly a feeder rod made 10 years ago and marketed as a "method feeder rod" might be woth looking at too in the secondhand bracket... though maybe more of a challenge to find two being sold together.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Whilst the rod is of some importance in achieving a long cast it's not everything... Line diameter, end tackle and most of all technique are.
Using 5lb line you'll cast further than 10lb line. An in-line feeder will cast further than a swivel attached feeder. 2oz in-line lead and a PVA bag of pellet also casts well. Casting technique is the vital point, feeling when the rod is flexed properly before casting is important, the length of line between rodtip and end tackle as well. A rod with spigots also helps.
I'd agree a second hand rod is a better option, then lots of practice....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Firstly I'd have to agree with everything that PC says above.

I have a 13' Greys G-Tec Method Feeder rod that would do all you want.

It takes lines from 5lbs to 12lbs, and casts a weight from 20g to 100g.

I think they stopped making these a few years back, I bought mine in 2009 I think, but you might find something similar on good old e-bay.

A

alan whittington

I'm looking to ghetting a pair of rods for the tench and bream on a water. The water is about 32 acres and the furthest spots will be around 90-140 yards away. I'd probably not fish at the maximum but certainly between 70-90 yards. I put this in the barbel section because I feel I'd need something around the 2lb tc though I understand it's more about the action and casting weight. Block and open end feeders so probably at least 2oz to hurl and more likely to be 3oz+. There are also carp present that go over 30lb and I may get lucky with those at times.
The budget isn't there really so £50 per rod would be nice. I can get Korum,Shaky and Youngs rods for that price and the 30+ Kodex specimen as well which is slightly higher in cost. A fair few of the rods I've looked at (online) tend to be a more through action, I reckon I'd need something a bit tippier to aid casting and hook setting. Grauvell and Wychwood are 2 other names I'm looking for info on.
I've done a search here and the Korum seems to find favour though not universal.
Opinions or thought folks?
Mucho gracias.

Hi Nobby,would have thought that 70-90yds with standard blockend or open end feeders would be a pretty fair chuck,if you use a good blockend,with an arlesey araldited into the nose distances could be increased by possibly 30yds or so maybe more,ive always found when the weight of a feeder increases over 1.5ozs or so casting distances drop,gravity takes away the momentum of the cast,its so much easier to distance cast with a straight lead,but as PC said earlier technique is everything,your not going to cast big distances with a foot drop from your rod tip,5-6ft would be good if possible,to compress the blank,you really need to physically try each rod your interested in(in different t.c. if possible)to pick the right option for your requirements,bloody good luck.:thumbs:

greenie62

Reaction score
..... the furthest spots will be around 90-140 yards away. I'd probably not fish at the maximum but certainly between 70-90 yards.....Block and open end feeders so probably at least 2oz to hurl and more likely to be 3oz+. ......

As PC said - it's all about casting technique. The masters at this are the beachcasters (from the 'darkside' of the sport :eek:) - and they have produced some excellent videos showing how the cast is performed with diagrams, slow motion action replay, etc. - particularly those by John Holden and Neil Mackellow.
The following link is to one of John Holden's diagrams - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VRCTVm-LxY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VRCTVm-LxY[/ame] - which shows you what's wrong with the 'bog-standard' heave-ho and how it can be improved upon. On the right-hand column of the YouTube page are some more of John's videos.
Well worth a look!

Last edited: