The Hitchen

Reaction score
Hi, anyone fish the itchen at the white swan?, I've recently decided to fish for barbell and I've heard there's a small number of barbell their. I recently heard someone had a 16lb fish, but that's unconfirmed and opinion is dubiose!, there are fish up to 8'ish but not for me I cant get that far very often,( no car), still perhaps my fortune will change in the future some knight will appear in a morris and invite me out for the day!:rolleyes: thanks for your time. 1944

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I believe the stretch by the White Swan (just below Gators Mill) is free fishing but it is more likely to produce a decent Chub than a 16lb Barbel. There have been members on here who fish this stretch but I'm not sure if they still post, Edsurf is one, I think the other was Frothy. Only Graham (16 species in a day) Elliot could catch a 16lb Itchen Barbel:)
Ian
I'm working down in Eastleigh Friday night/Saturday morning if you fancy a couple of hours Saturday morning I'm up for it , I have a long drive home so a long session is impractical

Reaction score
Your right 16lb is an outrageouse fish for the Hitchen. Thank's for the offer I cant take you up on it though,very kind of you to offer, yes it is free,go to the pub and park just up from it theres a peg directly above and next to the pub a known chub hotspot some barbell have been caught as well,easy to fish float or lead.Hope you enjoy yourself maggot or bread will certainly catch trout & sea trout.Thanks again for your thought. :guinness: 1944

waleed111

Reaction score
bugco - just about any tactics that will catch barbell on any river, will also work on the Royalty. We're not talking about a fish blessed with large intellectual capacity.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

A few years ago we had a fish-in on the Itchen at Gator's Mill and one of our number took a terrific 12lb 12oz Barbel from just above the free stretch by the sluice.

The free stretch has in recent years also thrown up the occasional decent Barbel but it is better know for some quality roach and chub. I have found that bread baits are pretty good down there as so much seems to get thrown in for the swans and ducks so it is worth while taking some in addition to your usual baits.

The pub' itself has a good selection of beers and a half decent menu too, so worth a visit for lunch . . . . . . .