End of an era or dawn for change?

maverick 7

Reaction score
I joined the BS some years ago so I can only speak from that experience and of course, if it still operates in the same way...which I am pretty sure it does. I was thinking that maybe I could pick up a few tips and a little bit of know how on my then favourite type of fishing. I went to the "meetings" where an angler that worked for me at the time in my tackle shop sometimes used to do the evening talks.

At the meetings I found the majority of anglers very secretive about the venues and the tactics used to fish...Now, I don't want to steal all the anglers hard work of finding out how to fish venues but I was a really only a keen enthusiast in the barbel fishing sector and had a lot to learn but they wouldn't even tell me the basics of successful barbel fishing....I was pretty disappointed in that. I had to gather as much as I could from the guy who worked for me but to be honest...I didn't think he was all that knowledgeable myself despite being "chosen" to do the talk....he was one of those self marketing anglers...if you know what I mean....could do the talk ...but had a little trouble with the walk.

Anyway, didn't really matter I suppose because I reckon the reason why the BS is in decline is because there are so many good clubs to join nowadays with excellent barbel water...Ashfield being one of them....so why pay the BS for membership and still have to pay for a day ticket at one of their venues?.....or at least that is how it worked when I was a member.

If they want continued success....they need to use the organisation in the same way a club would...charge a full membership fee to fish their waters....if they are not doing that already of course.

Maverick

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just to clarify.

The conduct mentioned in my post was not alleged, it was proven and dealt with by the club concerned. The details are a matter of record on the committee meeting minutes and could probably be produced if needed in any legal action arising from anything I might have implied.

ken more

Reaction score
Blimey.....What a palaver....:eek:mg:

Palaver indeed. I would really like to know what the ***** its all about,honestly:confused: I have not been rough fishing for that many years, but if anyone can tell me what all the animosity and lightly disguised anger is about, please do. A few pointers or a PM would be great, seriously. Also, what does "Toodle Pip" mean? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

belsh

Reaction score
Ah, Ken. At last, a question that I can answer. My boss uses the expression "Toodle Pip" quite regularly and from what I have deduced from the 7 years that I have known her it means "I'm going now, but I will be back (probably when you least expect it) and I will do your head in once more".
Hope that helps.
Belsh.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Ah, Ken. At last, a question that I can answer. My boss uses the expression "Toodle Pip" quite regularly and from what I have deduced from the 7 years that I have known her it means "I'm going now, but I will be back (probably when you least expect it) and I will do your head in once more".
Hope that helps.
Belsh.

Splendid explanation of a very old school expression. My boy (16) uses it all the time because when he was a mere nipper his childminder did. The Boy has shortened it to " Toodles" and even uses it when txting (tdls). The explanation fits him perfectly too.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that "Toodle Pip" was an RAF greeting from WW2. Pilots would shout it whilst running to their aircraft.

Certainly sounds feasible, doesn't it? Actually sounds like an RAF type term...:)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
:eek:
I think I read somewhere that "Toodle Pip" was an RAF greeting from WW2. Pilots would shout it whilst running to their aircraft.

Certainly sounds feasible, doesn't it? Actually sounds like an RAF type term...:)

Origin even earlier than that Phil.....according to Google. Certainly a very RAF type expression though. Tally Ho !