Barbel Show - This coming Sunday

Steve Pope

Reaction score
I'm just about to set off for what will be a most enjoyable weeked shared with many others who have a love of barbel fishing.

As you might have read on here ( Even 'Oscar Wilde' would have taken a peek) we are celebrating twenty years and I for one am very proud of that.

The Barbel Society, and me in particular, seem to come in for much criticism, I have to say that's from a vociferous few because the vast majority take a more measured approach and realise that we are just a group of people with a common interest doing our best.
Perhaps that small minority may wish to come along and enjoy the company of fellow barbel anglers, seems a more sensible option to me.
We could even talk face to face!

The rooms at the hotel in Kenilworth will be buzzing, if anyone looking in on here wants to come along then you can pay at the door and you will be made extremely welcome.

Twenty years is a time for reflection and acknowledging and thanking everyone who has played a part, its also a time for looking forward and we have enough guys onboard who are a lot younger and have the passion so I'm very optimistic for the future.

For those who can't make it I'll put together some words and pictures for Cliff.

You are all welcome, look forward to seeing you there.

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Mr Pope.
I suspect there are more than just a few that find fault but all that aside and in the interest of harmony, and as you use this medium to promote yourself and lately the BS via your trilogy "It was twenty year ago today".

In which you highlighted no less than nine points which were the vision of the late Mike Burdon. I will ask my questions again in a polite and courteous way. There is no need for face to face talks, I do things in the open and expect others to do the same. These are simple questions and ones I think you could answer with little difficulty.

And in the interests of the BS membership, whom it must be remembered you along with the rest of the committee rely on for your continuance perhaps you would like to do so?

• To produce a Handling Code for wide distribution.

I know this one was achieved.

• To study barbel movements from spawning sites to summer and winter locations.

What studies have actually taken place and what data does the BS hold on this if any?

• To reach some conclusions regarding the stillwater issue, long term survival and growth.

What conclusions has the BS reached on this issue?
What studies of any still waters has the BS undertaken and what*data does it hold?

• Identification of spawning sites to protect them.

What steps has the BS taken to protect the spawning sites identified by its on going spawning survey if any?

• Maintain details of barbel stockings in rivers.

What records other than the stockings carried out with BS R/C funds does the BS hold if any?

• Determine reasons for annual weight variations in a variety of rivers.

What has the BS found, or determined, as being the reasons for the variation in weights from a variety of rivers if any?

• Identify the factors affecting adverse fry survival in an attempt to rectify the situation.

What factors has the BS identified in this regard and what steps if any has the BS taken to rectify this situation?

• Establish if there is a reliable guide to the sex of barbel outside of the breeding period.

What studies or steps has the BS taken to establish a reliable guide if any?

• Any other matters? Possible DNA recognition etc.

Has the BS done anything on this subject?

Regards

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I hope you all have a lovely time, As one who has been there done that I'm sure you will all be made welcome.

I will be at an alternative function [which oddly always seems to clash] making physical preparations for the forthcoming season.

black kettle

Reaction score
The Dustmans Ball.

What is pilates?

Pilates aims to strengthen the body in an even way, with particular emphasis on core strength to improve general fitness and wellbeing. Pilates exercises are done on a mat or using special equipment, such as the Reformer, the Cadillac and Wunda Chair. With its system of pulleys and springs, handles and straps, the apparatus can provide either resistance or support, depending on your needs.

Pilates was developed by German-born Joseph Pilates, who believed mental and physical health were closely connected. His method was influenced by western forms of exercise, including gymnastics, boxing and Greco-Roman wrestling. Pilates immigrated to the US in the 1920s and opened a studio in New York, where he taught his method – which he called contrology – for several decades.

Who is pilates for?

Pilates has something to offer people of all ages and levels of ability and fitness, from beginners to elite athletes. The apparatus can be used to provide support for beginners and people with certain medical conditions, as well as resistance for people looking to challenge their body. Before starting any exercise programme, it's advisable to seek advice from your GP or a health professional if you have any health concerns, such as a health condition or an injury.

What are the health benefits of pilates?

There are many reports on the health benefits of pilates. However, few of these have been subjected to rigorous scientific examination and there's a need for more research in this area. Practitioners say regular pilates practise can help improve posture, muscle tone, balance and joint mobility, as well as relieve stress and tension. For elite athletes, including dancers, pilates can complement their training by developing whole body strength and flexibility, and help reduce the risk of injury.

There is also no scientific evidence which connects barbel demise on some rivers with anglers pellets. None. Nowt. Squat. Zip. Zero. Sweet Fanny Adams. Zilch. Contrology also exists go see it at the Dustmans Ball.

Regards,

BK.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 ----------

And I'll bet six cream cakes, five Mars Bars and 6lbs of Merrymaid Chocolate Caramels that Steve Pope won't answer your questions Ray even though you asked with all the reverence of a vicar.

Must remember the show. Must remember the show. Must remember the show.

Regards,

BK.

Last edited:

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Fantastic show, really pleased, lots of happy people - that's good enough for me. It happens because lots of people work hard and we have a superb core support.

Old guys, young guys, women and children - all in attendance today and all of them looked as though they enjoyed themselves.

A full write up will follow when I get some time, later this week.

Last edited:

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
They say looks can be very deceiving...when you do your write up will you answer these questions?

All for the sake of harmony and the good of the BS please.

• To produce a Handling Code for wide distribution.

I know this one was achieved.

• To study barbel movements from spawning sites to summer and winter locations.

What studies have actually taken place and what data does the BS hold on this if any?

• To reach some conclusions regarding the stillwater issue, long term survival and growth.

What conclusions has the BS reached on this issue?
What studies of any still waters has the BS undertaken and what*data does it hold?

• Identification of spawning sites to protect them.

What steps has the BS taken to protect the spawning sites identified by its on going spawning survey if any?

• Maintain details of barbel stockings in rivers.

What records other than the stockings carried out with BS R/C funds does the BS hold if any?

• Determine reasons for annual weight variations in a variety of rivers.

What has the BS found, or determined, as being the reasons for the variation in weights from a variety of rivers if any?

• Identify the factors affecting adverse fry survival in an attempt to rectify the situation.

What factors has the BS identified in this regard and what steps if any has the BS taken to rectify this situation?

• Establish if there is a reliable guide to the sex of barbel outside of the breeding period.

What studies or steps has the BS taken to establish a reliable guide if any?

• Any other matters? Possible DNA recognition etc.

Has the BS done anything on this subject?

Regards

black kettle

Reaction score
Well according to a lot of blokes who were there at the event, it was a flop by all accounts. Hardly anyone there. One guy went on record on RT saying it was the worst show he'd sadly ever been too, of any species group. I also watched the video of the little girl getting an award from Peter Wheat on the BS Facebook page and the seats directly in front of Peter on the first three rows appeared to be empty.

I used to like Chatsworth Angling Fair but that great event is no longer with us. Mind you, there is the Chatsworth Country Fair which has a good angling content so see you there on the 4th-6th of September. And don't forget the CLA Game Fair held at Harewood House this year in August 31st-2nd of August. I always go for the whole show over the three days unless its on my doorstep at Belvoir Castle when I get free tickets.

Regards,

BK.

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Any news on the big news being showcased at the show ?

Not heard anything Phil, seems PM's are the order of the day today. People I have spoken to did not pass on anything, apart from saying it was a poor show and not many in attendance.

Regards
Ray

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Just seen a picture of the BS show...seems like the 300 in attendance is being disputed.

Looks like around 110/120 in the room, cameras have a way of being very accurate!

Apparently there is a cream cake on offer if you can count 300 in the room.

Regards
Ray

Steve Pope

Reaction score
As Jason said rather eloquently, one big yawn!

I truly feel sorry for a handful of people who appear to have serious issues.

I'll stick to the features in future because I would have to question my own sanity if I found myself engaging with some.....................................

It was a fantastic show, there were in the region of 300 people - there was more than one room, everyone I spoke to had a great time, you'll have to make your own mind up as to who you want to believe.............................

Thank the lord we'll be fishing again soon, I find it difficult to understand why a handful of blokes can be so miserly and want to pour scorn. Can't even bring themselves to say well done on a great effort, thats the reason I will not engage in dialogue or answer questions from these people, its constant moaning all the time and it wears very thin.

Have a great season.

Last edited:

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
I truly feel sorry for a handful of people who appear to have serious issues.

I'll stick to the features in future because I would have to question my own sanity if I found myself engaging with some.....................................

Mr Pope, it would appear that you are actually the one with issues. Why not answer honest questions which were asked quite politely?

Your estimate of 300 in attendance at the BS show has been refuted by many who attended. The picture I have seen supports what they say.

As for engaging...well!

Regards

I think most have made up their minds regarding the numbers.

I asked questions Mr Pope nowhere within those questions is there any moaning. They are genuine questions asked politely with no malice or axe to grind. You may try and put your own spin on things. But as you say, things are wearing thin and many are wondering why you refuse to answer questions on the points you are so proud of?

Last edited:

retrobob

Reaction score
I don't know what's gone on between you and the BS but you don't have to be a genius to see you do have an axe to grind based on your passive aggressive line of questioning!

bobbyb

Reaction score
Good morning gentlemen!

I didn't arrive in from work until 4am but I'll try and be as polite as possible.
Lee, let's just look at the names of the people who are saying it was a flop for a minute.................er, hold on! Am I counting three? Mr Ponsford, who is an EA officer and Korum sponsored angler, has quoted two anonymous stalwarts within his attack, and who else? One more is it? Mr Barnes? I can't seem to remember anyone else I don't think? I could be wrong though. So much slandering and abuse to get through you tend to forget it all as you reach the bottom of the post.
So, let's say they had a genuine dislike for the show, fair enough. That is a shame but fully understandable, you can't please them all. I think within the RT post you have more that have stepped up to say what a wonderful day it was and how much they enjoyed it, it's there in black and white yet you still refuse it or question it?

I can happily put a stop to all this by uploading some photos! I was the photographer after all. My internet is down but I am informed I'll be back up and running by tomorrow. I'll happily upload all the pics here then.
The membership will receive all relevant info regarding the show in due course, including the attendance numbers, your insiders can keep you up to speed but trust me, I wouldn't use Mr Barnes' numbers. The quick snap shots of the conference room when it wasn't rammed already throw the quoted numbers off. I do sometimes wish people would gather all the correct data before embarking of these journeys of hatred, otherwise, they come out the other end looking a bit daft, to say the least.

As to my thoughts on the stalking of Steve Pope and the continued slandering of the Barbel Society by a select few, I find it all deeply worrying.
Constructive criticism and good debate etc is great...and very welcomed. Anyone who wishes any angling club, society or federation to fail in this day and age, when there are so few left is.......well, it's just not a pleasant thing to play a part in the abuse.

As for the show, it was a great event enjoyed by many. Apart from the three you lot are hanging on to......hopefully, I've managed to capture the atmosphere and enjoyment through the lens, photos to follow shortly.

I wish you all the best gents, have a great season.

Cheers

Bobby.

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
I don't know what's gone on between you and the BS but you don't have to be a genius to see you do have an axe to grind based on your passive aggressive line of questioning!

Passive aggressive line of questioning? Not heard of that one retrobob, my questions are just that questions. Simple to answer and asked politely.

Regards
Ray