The Barbel Society Midlands’ Rivers Annual Research & Conservation Fundraiser

bobbyb

Reaction score
This new project aims to raise funds, primarily for the Severn catchment, but will cater for all future Midland rivers research and conservation projects.
The Society is helping with funding and supporting two PHD studies, one of which is currently taking place on the river Teme and will be looking at barbel populations throughout the lower and middle reaches.
As time goes The Barbel Society will face a growing list of habitat restoration projects and enhancement schemes that will not only benefit the barbel but all species, as well as improving habitat for all wildlife along the way.
Our first Midlands’ fundraiser event will be held on the 12th September 2015 and consist of a friendly fishing match taking place in the day over three prolific fisheries (car permits and maps will be issued to all guests prior to event), followed by a fantastic 3-course meal and auction in the evening at The Abbey Hotel with Angling Trusts Martin Salter as guest speaker.
A cost of £50 per head will include your entry to the fishing match, dinner at the hotel in the evening and a chance to bid on some fantastic lots in the auction.
For those of you intending on an overnight stay at the hotel, you will need to book early to avoid disappointment as we only have a certain amount of rooms reserved for the event. All details and references for bookings will be provided with each application. Alternative accommodation in and around the malvern hills can be provided upon request.

If you would like to receive an invitation to this years event please contact me via email - mrbbaker@icloud.com

BS%20Fundraiser%20Poster%20-%20JPEG_zpsc2sf3wpl.jpg

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A match...........Really..........With or without keepnets and light line tactics?

Is this honestly the best you can come up with?

I had made a pact with myself to keep out of barbel society affairs as being a non member it was none of my business..........

But a match as a fundraiser for river R&C just about takes the biscuit.

Please tell me this is a wind up. Or is it the influence of that well known fish conservationist and pike killer (some of might need to look that one up) Dave Harrell?

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
The BS holding matches heard it all now!

Must be part of the 2020 vision of a blind man, or just another way of bolstering the dwindling BS coffers?

Barge pole and touch and with come to mind. Oh and wouldn't!

What ever next eh Ade?

Regards
Ray

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Bobby. Are the activities on BS waters? Just hoping the bit of the Wye I fish isnt getting any more BS events.

Graham

bobbyb

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Really? Come on! You lot don't arf get your knickers in a twist. The BetFred odds are quite good these days as to who's going to pop up first. Always worth a fiver.

Now, it shouldn't take too many cogs to turn in those beautiful noggin's of yours to realise that it's a load of anglers getting together and having a fish, like a fish-in, group of friends going fishing etc etc etc. Doesnt really have the same ring to it on a poster though eh! A match will do just fine. I should've put a disclaimer for 'the gang' though. Oh....actually I did, it's on the back.
I thorougly recommend bringing a keepnet...so you lot can give your knickers a wash.
Graham, check poster, 'on the river Severn'.

Look forward to you all ripping into any junior day announcements. Lovely.

Happy Father's Day!

Cheers

Bobby.

Last edited:

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Bobby Baker, you really make me larf hahahhaha, only a fiver eh should I call you a tight wad?

I had a 50 with Corals that you would come up with that sort of reply! I had another oner that the silent one would stay silent as well, now I call that a win win for me.

Tell me has the BS taken over from the EA? The way you put things one could be forgiven for thinking so.

Regards

Ray

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So is it a match or not?

If it's a social why not just advertise it as such with a prize for the best fish of the day judged by all the participants or, if you are counting all species, as a percentage of the national record which would allow the bloke fishing for mini species the same chance of winning as the bloke fishing for pike, chub, barbel, bream or zander (always a chance of a record from Pixham)?

Not sure what you have been told but I was for a while one of the junior tutors (I had a shirt with my name on it and everything) and I still see one of my old students regularly. And I still dazzle him with my skills;) the only difference is when we got to the pub these days he drinks me under the table.

PS, Why the sarcastic condescending tone? I thought we were all mates.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bobby. The page wouldn't open for me for some reason.

Pleased my section of the Wye isn't getting any more of a hammering. I just people would choose their own regular waters sometimes.......some hope.

Graham.

greenie62

Reaction score
Being a generally all-round angler I have only an occasional interest in Barbel and little interest in the Barbel Society - particularly when it breaks into yet another slanging match across 'my' FM forum! :rolleyes::eek:
Would you please keep this to your own site and leave the rest of us out of it?

Gentlemen,
Really? Come on! You lot don't arf get your knickers in a twist.....

Yes Bobby - see above! As Ade said in his PS:
Why the sarcastic condescending tone? I thought we were all mates.

PLEASE don't start yet another Barbel Wars on this forum - I don't think I'm the only who is fed up with this - and even bored with the schadenfreude enjoyed by some!

Tight Lines!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
No danger of "Barbel Wars MCMXCIX" breaking out, so far everyone is being reasonably civil, certainly nothing like versions I, II and III :eek:mg:

Just keep it civil and don't descend into personal slanging matches and all will be fine.

... and anyway, I'm far more relaxed now I've had a couple in the net! :)

009.jpg

bobbyb

Reaction score
Greenie62, I contacted one of the moderators some time ago to check is what OK to advertise this sort of thing on FM, it was agreed that it was fine, this is the barbel section of the forum so it is of interest to many, obviously not for some as you can see above and yourself for the reasons stated. Thankfully a few have contacted me off the back off this post, so I'll take that as positive thing. And call that 'a win'

There will be various prizes for various angling achievements throughout the day. A very similar set up to the fantastic Avon Roach Project fundraiser that the Society were involved with over recent years, I'm sure we all agree that was a great success and something that should be, and is, applauded.

Ade, without sounding like a Miss Universe contender, there is nothing more I'd love than for all of us to get along. Our last public conversation you said 'PS - I am not your mate'. I hope that will change.
My previous post was all in good humour. Thats it for now, have a great day chaps, put your feet up and sink some beers.

Tight lines.

Last edited:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
The question that needs asking is....

Why a separate R&C fundraiser specifically for the severn and Midlands rivers ?

Surely the monies from the yearly R&C fundraiser and the voluntary levy on membership monies as well as the amount siphoned off from everyone's membership fee is used to cover works across the country, or has it all been spent on the Avon and Stour.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Valid questions particularly for those who may be considering dipping a toe into such a BS event.

Unfortunately, but perhaps understandably, answers may only be forthcoming on their members only website/forum or their (Closed Group) Facebook Page.

bobbyb

Reaction score
Hiya Phil,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I didn't want to spend anymore time on the internet with it being fathers day.

Please read the original post as to why a 'midlands fundraiser'. No, all the money has not been spent on the rivers you mention. No, money is not being siphoned off from membership.

As the BS and R&C projects grow, along with the PHD projects, habitat works etc etc we support and commit to each year, things will get a little tight, now, we could hold a bigger national fundraiser each year, or one or two more of them, but, wouldn't it be better to get more involved at a local level? This is already done to a degree, but something that more people/clubs can get involved with and feel part of up and down the country? Plus, it should put a few old arguments to bed in the process :D
A collection of little fundraisers throughout the year, supporting local projects/clubs that can make a difference.
The R&C already does a fantastic job with limited funding and resources, and clubs etc can get in touch whenever they need advice or support. Please check the Society website for the updated projects! - The Barbel Society – Projects

Last edited:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Bobby.

Are you sure about there not being a levy from each subscription towards the R&C though, I mean really sure ?

Also most of those projects on that list, if you can call tipping fish into a river a project, mentioned North of the Teme were carried out many many years ago with the majority and most recent and largest being well South of the Teme. Is this not just an attempt to show there's not really a North south divide when it comes to the dividing of the R&C monies equally across the country ?

Best of luck with it though as you seem keen to try and drag things forward, just watch your back though as many have tried before you to no avail.

bobbyb

Reaction score
Phil, please read the original post and my above replies as to why the fundraiser is taking place. It will all become very clear.

It's not just me, there is a great team in place and that will continue to grow, we are all very keen and focused. Thanks for your good wishes. Much appreciated.

Many superb events coming up for the barbel enthusiast to get involved in. I'll update the barbel section as and when. You'll no doubt see it all in the press and splattered all over social media too. The future is bright.

Have a great day.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Nicely dodged the 2 questions there Bobby.

There's been great teams in place over the years mate who eventually all gave up with the committee within a committee system of decision making.

tonybull

Reaction score
Plenty of clubs with good waters for the Barbel enthusiast to fish.

I've read about the 20/20 vision thing and its loads of nonsense. Just a creation for the existing committee to become Executives and sit above a new committee calling the shots.

Thinking about lowering the joining fee as well, that just shows desperation.

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Plenty of clubs with good waters for the Barbel enthusiast to fish.

I've read about the 20/20 vision thing and its loads of nonsense. Just a creation for the existing committee to become Executives and sit above a new committee calling the shots.

Thinking about lowering the joining fee as well, that just shows desperation.

Quite right Tony there are miles and miles of barbel waters available via our open to all fishing clubs. Most if not all are far better than anything the BS can offer.

As for the 2020 vision, I thought it more like blind mans buff but I think your version is more near the truth.

Regards
Ray

PS Phil, did you really expect answers?

Judas Priest

Reaction score
To be honest Ray yes. Bobby has been pretty up front and open with his debate.

The committee within a committee has existed for years and has led to many leaving as decisions are overturned by the few.

I do genuinely wish Bobby well with his enthusiasm.

Ah well off now to finish the inside of my new fishing van ready for the year ahead.