River Wye-Much Birch area advice

waynec22

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am pretty much a newbie to barbel fishing, I normally fish the local derbyshire derwent and have never fished any other river.

I have just been given a present to go on a fishing trip to the wye, mutch birch area, and spend a day hoping for a barbel.

Does anyone have any experience and could offer some advice, myself and my dad have one day fishing there so any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Wayne

11alan111

Reaction score
although i live near hereford i have never fished that part of the wye,however there are lots and lots of very good quality barbel in the wye and i dont think you will blank.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Briefly - simple tactics should work. Running feeder rig, hair rigged bait on a 2 to 3 foot hooklength, pellet/ groundbait in the feeder. If somewhere looks worth trying, give it a go. But if nothing happens, don't be afraid to move around - and don't forget to try relatively close in if there's a good feature/ crease/ depth.

I tend to stick to 12lb mainline and 10lb hooklength. Anything else and you can end up losing a lot of tackle.

Tight lines - let us know how you get on?