Long awaited report on the Gt Ouse

soft plastic

Reaction score
I sure if you look back at the record list the River Lea has held the record 3 or 4 times for the chub. There are a few known chub over 8lb, and a couple just over 9lb. My money is on the Lea for a chub record also.

As for a Barbel record, there are a few rivers that have some very big fish, I am talking over 19lb.

The Thames could throw up something close, don't think the Seven will, but my money would be on two rivers, the Trent, and the other I am not saying, for obvious reasons.

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

If we are honest, we don't know just what are in our rivers, because there aren't enough angels on the bank, and many anglers now keep what they have caught, close to their chest.

I don't also go along 100% with such reports as these for one reason, they are based on their findings. I have found such reports a little hit and miss. They don't cover all the river, how can they.

I find anglers fishing the rivers have more of an idea of what is or isn't in the venue. The EA, did a report about fishers green a few years back. To put it simple, there were way off regarding the size of fish. Yes they said there were big chub and Barbel, but nothing backing them up, WRONG.

Barbel of around the 1lb mark, small chub from a few ounces plus, Roach 3oz to a few fish over 2lb, plus Perch, Pike, Dace and Carp, have all been caught since, and only just after the report came out. I am not saying these reports are wrong in every way, but i don't take everything they say as done and dusted.

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

I don't know why, but as soon as Barbel start to move off from a section of water, Otters are to blame. The Ouse Barbel move up and down the river all the time, never staying in one place all the time.

St Neots used to have Otters there years ago, the fishing was great. I am not saying Otters don't eat fish, but they don't just eat Barbel. If they did the river Lea at fishers Green wouldn't have anything at all in it. Otters have been there for many years.

As soon as someone reports an Otter on a section of river, before you know it, they are in every inch of the river, which just isn't true. Otters in the Ouse, yes we know they are, but in some sections, not everywhere. You also have to look back when our rivers were full of fish, they also had plenty of Otters.

Strange that when the Otters were wiped out, the fish stocks started to decline, yet now Otters are back, fish stocks on rivers are getting better, if this wasn't true, how come more anglers are starting to fish rivers again.
Because, thankfully, the fishing population is wishing up. Endless bags of stocked fish from overstocked commercials really isn't the be all and end all of fishing.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Because, thankfully, the fishing population is wishing up. Endless bags of stocked fish from overstocked commercials really isn't the be all and end all of fishing.

I don't fish commie waters, so wouldn't know about endless bags of fish. One thing commies are good for is getting kids into fishing, and hell do we need them.

Angling is slowly going down the pan, we need kids on banks, not in front of TV's, PC's and play stations.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Barbel record. Maybe the Nene.

Use to be lots of otters......before the re-introduction?

The Trent has had over 50, 000 barbel stocked over the past 10 years.

The Lea has had many many thousands stocked.

These rivers give a false impression of barbel levels.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
The ea can't win on this one. They have to stock barbel fore economic reasons. Clubs and anglers demand barbel in the river.....like now!

This is not possible through natural recruitment or the remaining stocks.

Like my local river chucking a few thousand in will hopefully keep anglers happy.

We doubt it won't because the river won't sustain them any more but on the Ouse the amount chucked in may give a boom in small areas as it as done in the past.

thecrow

Reaction score
The ea can't win on this one. They have to stock barbel fore economic reasons. Clubs and anglers demand barbel in the river.....like now!

This is not possible through natural recruitment or the remaining stocks.

Like my local river chucking a few thousand in will hopefully keep anglers happy.

We doubt it won't because the river won't sustain them any more but on the Ouse the amount chucked in may give a boom in small areas as it as done in the past.

Shouldn't the EA be looking into the reasons why they need to constantly top up Barbel populations in rivers? or do they already know the reasons but wont do anything about it?

wanderer

Reaction score
Short of making M.K. and Bedford disappear, there aint a lot they can do, its a case of dealing with what is, not what was, unfortunately.

thecrow

Reaction score
Short of making M.K. and Bedford disappear, there aint a lot they can do, its a case of dealing with what is, not what was, unfortunately.

Lots of things that could be done if the will was there to force the water companies to take stuff out of the water (that the public drink) that they don't now, endocrine disrupters being one, there are filters that would remove them but that would impact on profits wouldn't it. I wonder how many of the public realise that the water they use for they cup of tea has already been through 2/3/4 people before them and god knows what they are drinking that's in it.

black kettle

Reaction score
"The Trent has had over 50, 000 barbel stocked over the past 10 years."

I think you'll find that most of the barbel were stocked in Trent tributaries?

wanderer

Reaction score
Lots of things that could be done if the will was there to force the water companies to take stuff out of the water (that the public drink) that they don't now, endocrine disrupters being one, there are filters that would remove them but that would impact on profits wouldn't it. I wonder how many of the public realise that the water they use for they cup of tea has already been through 2/3/4 people before them and god knows what they are drinking that's in it.
Flamin hell Mr Crow, first i choke on a toxic breakfast, now you are telling me my Earl Grey is a second hand urine sample, is nothing sacred, i was happy in my ignorance, now nothing tastes the same.

ciprinus

Reaction score
Flamin hell Mr Crow, first i choke on a toxic breakfast, now you are telling me my Earl Grey is a second hand urine sample, is nothing sacred, i was happy in my ignorance, now nothing tastes the same.

drink beer steve, at least the alcohol kills off any germs mate ;)

Keith M

Reaction score

I don't know about abstraction on the Gt Ouse but I read somewhere that by the time the Lea reaches the Thames every drop has been through at least 5 people.

Keith

Last edited:

Rich P

Reaction score
Hic....I'd probably have a better chance of catching after a few beers.

Yet another interesting thread. There seem to be so many contradictory opinions as to why the biggies from the Gt Ouse. It's clear that they weren't immortal, as with any other form of life.

There are some big fish coming out from rivers all over the country, as well as small fish. The latter naturally don't get reported, thus it's difficult to get an accurate picture......unless studies (like the PhD mentioned in this thread). PhD studies are probably the best way forward, as they author is less likely to have any vested interest in any reparation work done as a result.

Chevin

Reaction score
Is anyone catching barbel in the lower reaches of the Great Ouse these days? Chuck Nunn and I started catching them at Hemmingford Grey in 1963 and while they weren't big fish, they were well conditioned and seemed to be growing well. Anther angler - Colin Charman - who worked on the discoveries Chuck and I had made, caught some there a few years later (as did Chuck and I) so they were still thriving then, but that was over 40 years ago. There could well be some good sized barbel in that area now.

Three small Hemmingford Grey barbel caught in 1964

hLH0nS.jpg

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Is anyone catching barbel in the lower reaches of the Great Ouse these days? Chuck Nunn and I started catching them at Hemmingford Grey in 1963 and while they weren't big fish, they were well conditioned and seemed to be growing well. Anther angler - Colin Charman - who worked on the discoveries Chuck and I had made, caught some there a few years later (as did Chuck and I) so they were still thriving then, but that was over 40 years ago. There could well be some good sized barbel in that area now.

PM on the way Ian..

flossy

Reaction score
Read through most ,found some bits hard too understand ,other bits very interesting, movement of some fish is incredible ,why certain fish never returned too a certain area once tagged .I have walked the banks of the ouse for at least 10 years on and off ,through all season,s and have only ever seen a few fish,i fished it very hard for around 4 years without much success ,those few now that catch must work very hard at it .

grayhamb

Reaction score
I am yet to read the report but will read it after work tonight, i fishing Offord & Buckden weir pool 3, no one has caught a barbel since 2011 there but i try and wont give up trying, also i fish the large weirpool at Saint Neots and i caught my first barbel there just last year weighing 2lb which was a nice sign, back about 8 years ago my freind caught 3 barbel weighing 7lb a piece in the same session so it was a good water for barbel and many anglers ive spoke too have caught small barbel there, so Saint Neots weir pool looks good, but sadly Offord mill pool does not! look forward to seeing the report! if i had the money id do my own re stocking and making the environment better for barbel they are a wonderful fish! still to catch one over 2lb im hungry to catch even a 4lb id be happy!