New Barbel Rod

john10

Reaction score
After much thought I bought a Martin Bowler 1 3/4 test barbel rod before Christmas and I can't find fault with it. I've used it on the Idle for three sessions a week until the season closed and I found it has a responsive tip with loads of power towards the butt. I know both the rods in this range have not been received well in some quarters, paying for the name and the holdall it comes in etc. but Drennan make good rods and it works for me.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After much thought I bought a Martin Bowler 1 3/4 test barbel rod before Christmas and I can't find fault with it. I've used it on the Idle for three sessions a week until the season closed and I found it has a responsive tip with loads of power towards the butt. I know both the rods in this range have not been received well in some quarters, paying for the name and the holdall it comes in etc. but Drennan make good rods and it works for me.

I had a pair of drennan bowler barbel rods but I wasn't happy with them and sold them on. The blanks seemed to scratch easily and the guides looked and felt cheap. I don't mind single leg guides if they're good quality and strong but the ones on my bowler rods bent far to easily. Mine got bent back and forth several times and i'm always very carfull with my fishing gear.
I'm a big fan of drennan rods and tackle but imo the barbel rods would have been vastly improved by sealing off the blanks and attatching some fuji guides!