river wye eels....

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
So the question is this - if you were fishing for barbel and received the attention of eels, would you:

A) carry on doing what you're doing - Eels swim with barbel, and if an eel can find your bait then it must be presented ok, it's just a matter of time before the barbel get to it

or

B) do something different, potentially somewhere different. Eels are basically sent by Satan to ruin our fishing and any such interference should not be tolerated!

(I think I'm in camp A (Remain, ha!!) but had serious thoughts about moving to camp B on a recent Wye session....)

john step

Reaction score
So the question is this - if you were fishing for barbel and received the attention of eels, would you:

A) carry on doing what you're doing - Eels swim with barbel, and if an eel can find your bait then it must be presented ok, it's just a matter of time before the barbel get to it

or

B) do something different, potentially somewhere different. Eels are basically sent by Satan to ruin our fishing and any such interference should not be tolerated!

(I think I'm in camp A (Remain, ha!!) but had serious thoughts about moving to camp B on a recent Wye session....)

I seriously hope that the eels are making a come back? They are scarcer now and I don't mind catching one at all.
As they are endangered I don't agree with the following but it does happen though......
I know those that delight in a plump eel or three from the Trent to put in the freezer for pike deadbait.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Actually John, I really do enjoy catching them. They can be tricksy bait robbing little bar stewards and no mistake, so managing to get one cleanly hooked and in the net is quite enjoyable!

It's a funny sort of a bite. Started as taps.... these then build up in intensity until one commits to actually having the bait away. Then you have to sit on your hands a bit whilst it really gets the meat, but not too long as you don't want it swallowed! Actually quite engaging for a little while.

I caught one - almost by design - on Monday, by making the hair shorter by wrapping it around the shank of the hook. Then I baited with meat, and the hair was so short that the bottom of the hook (the bend) pulled in to the bait itself.

That sorted one out, and I did feel rather pleased with myself. So I tried I again and I caught a chub! And that reminded me that I was really fishing for barbel so the pellets went back out on a longer hair.

(and the dreaded plucks started all over again!! could have been chub too....)

mikench

Reaction score
having never caught an eel I assume that they are very difficult to unhook! Is there a best way to do this?

B

binka

having never caught an eel I assume that they are very difficult to unhook! Is there a best way to do this?

The best way Mike is to not be heavy handed and lightly run your hand along the length of the eel's body, this way it will sense that it's not under threat and will usually lay still.

I always do this whilst the eel is in the net to begin with and then remove it onto a mat if necessary.

Laying them on their backs is another good way of calming them until you can get the hook out but if it's not around the surface or just inside the mouth it's best to cut the line as far down as you can as eels are very delicate and prone to damage easily, they usually find a way of ridding what's left themselves.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Binka! I might practice that technique on the wife first and see how I get on.:rolleyes:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I remember Eric Edwards (I think?) once being asked the question ' What's the best way to hold an eel?'. His response was " Two sections in the left hand and two sections in the right!" :)

B

binka

I remember Eric Edwards (I think?) once being asked the question ' What's the best way to hold an eel?'. His response was " Two sections in the left hand and two sections in the right!" :)

My regular fishing partner hates 'em and always jokes about threading 'em onto a bankstick :D