Barbel rod

mikench

Reaction score
Ok I may never use one, may never need one, and may never catch a barbel but hey when did that stop any of us buying a new rod!:)

Without breaking the bank I quite like the look of the Korum 12ft barbel rod , the Fox Royale barbel rod and ( as recommended) the Ray Walton J W Young rod. They are all between £50and £70 !

Which would you go for if only to add such a rod to your collection for the off chance that you might river fish one day. I assume that a decent float rod would more than suffice in the circumstances posed!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The new one that JW YOUNGS are doing look nice, check them out on ebay. I think they have a green blank and red wippings on the guides. It looks as though they have both a solid top and a quiver section with three long white tips, also with red whippings on the guides.

mikench

Reaction score
I will . Isn't it fun deluding er I mean persuading oneself that you need something new!:wh

mikench

Reaction score
The Youngs rod is a 5 piece travel rod. Handy but unnecessary for me! The original rod type is still available at around £50.

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

What are the details Peter and where are you based? I am unsure if this is how to pm someone! Obviously not!

Mike

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Youngs rod is a 5 piece travel rod. Handy but unnecessary for me! The original rod type is still available at around £50.

What are the details Peter and where are you based? I am unsure if this is how to pm someone! Obviously not!

Mike

The one I was talking about is two peice 12ft long.
Youngs do a new range of various lengths, test curves , float rods, leger rods etc., they look really nice to me.
If iI hadn't just splashed out on another supero barbel rod I would most likely have got one myself.

Check out item 401103340973

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The one I was talking about is two peice 12ft long.
Youngs do a new range of various lengths, test curves , float rods, leger rods etc., they look really nice to me.
If iI hadn't just splashed out on another supero barbel rod I would most likely have got one myself.

Check out item 401103340973

You had it then. Good man.:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You had it then. Good man.:D

Yeaph, I had it :eek:mg:

I pm'd you to let you know, maybe I didn't press send....i'm ****** hopless lol.
Just check your pm's incase it hasn't come up.

john step

Reaction score

Mike

Click on the persons name at the top of their thread and scroll down to send a personal message.

As for a barbel rod.? You say...if you ever fish a river! Unless there is a different use to you such as a light carp rod its not much point.
If you knew where you would like to barbel fish you would have a better idea of what type of rod.
You could drop down to the Severn or cross over to the Trent. Both are big powerful rivers that need a rod capable of casting big feeders or weights.

I don't know Wimslow but if there are barbel there they may be in smaller narrower rivers where such a beast of a rod is unnecessary.

A bit like saying a fly rod. Salmon? Brook trout? Reservoir trout? Sea Bass? Pike? If you see what I mean.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. I have access to stretches of the Dee, Alyn, Trent, Weaver ,Dane, Ribble and Mersey. I am trying to resist buying another rod for this and will try my 12ft Wychwood quiver tip at first and see how I go.

I will go next week and hope there is a more experienced member on hand to give guidance.:)

As Oscar Wilde said" I can resist everything but temptation":rolleyes:

lepirate

Reaction score
''A bit like saying a fly rod. Salmon? Brook trout? Reservoir trout? Sea Bass? Pike? If you see what I mean.'' Yep, got all them.... :) what I don't have at the moment is a 'new' rod....A new rod is always good... :D

stevejay

Reaction score
The Korum is a great rod for the money....you can get it for under £50.

I have one and had 2 barbel with it yesterday on the Severn. 1.75 lb test curve means it can cope with all but extreme barbelling (tidal or flooded rivers). Another benefit is that it can be used on still waters for tench or carp and method feeders or distance work for big bream etc.

Even if you fish smaller rivers i would caution against going much lighter. Barbel are by far the hardest fighting UK species and needs powerful rod if, like there usually is on rivers, there are snags and cover.

greenie62

Reaction score
.... I have access to stretches of the Dee, Alyn, Trent, Weaver ,Dane, Ribble and Mersey. ......

Hey Mike - you forgot the Tame and Goyt - or have all the Salmon seen off the Barbel in them yet?!:D

mikench

Reaction score
Hi Greenie62. The rivers I mentioned are on my cards for Warrington and Bay Malton AS's. I like the Korum but will stick to what I have for the moment. Er indoors has gone off for the day in her car( my fishing vehicle) and my car is not suited to grass verges, farm tracks and soft ground!

A day in the garden beckons I reckon:) I plan to fish next Thursday and Friday ;)

You might know! At the M6 exit to Preston near the Tickled Trout there are 2 or 3 large man made lakes being created. Are these possible new fishing venues.?

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You might know! At the M6 exit to Preston near the Tickled Trout there are 2 or 3 large man made lakes being created. Are these possible new fishing venues.?

They're already taken by PAAS. It'll be a while yet before they get stocked and are ready to fish. So if you want to fish them you'll have to be a member of PAAS already or get your name on the waiting list.

greenie62

Reaction score
They're already taken by PAAS. It'll be a while yet before they get stocked and are ready to fish. So if you want to fish them you'll have to be a member of PAAS already or get your name on the waiting list.

Nice to see PAAS are progressing with the policy of 'local fishing for local people - NOT'!:rolleyes::eek:mg:

Quite different from the SFAS policy of free membership & free fishing to ensure that as much of the river as possible remains free access to fishermen and other water users.

I find it interesting that 2 such different models of fishing clubs can flourish based in the same geographical area - and even have overlapping memberships - with such differing philosophies. :cool:

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Tigger. I have my name down already but doubt I will take up membership even if offered. I travel to Lytham once a week or so to visit elderly parents and had watched developments as I drove past. They would be a bit too far away for me really: I haven't even fished a quarter of the waters on the cards I already have:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Tigger. I have my name down already but doubt I will take up membership even if offered. I travel to Lytham once a week or so to visit elderly parents and had watched developments as I drove past. They would be a bit too far away for me really: I haven't even fished a quarter of the waters on the cards I already have:rolleyes:

If you get a paas membership you won't need any others, the club really is excellent ! I wouldn't let an offer to join slip through your hands.

mikench

Reaction score
Point taken! I have only had my name down for 9 months so will have some time to continue to mature:wh

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice to see PAAS are progressing with the policy of 'local fishing for local people - NOT'!:rolleyes::eek:mg:

Quite different from the SFAS policy of free membership & free fishing to ensure that as much of the river as possible remains free access to fishermen and other water users.

I find it interesting that 2 such different models of fishing clubs can flourish based in the same geographical area - and even have overlapping memberships - with such differing philosophies. :cool:

How can you have free membership....who pays for the fishing rights ?

Regarding the "other water users", I take it you think boating should be allowed then ?

Don't be jealous, just put your name down on the waiting list :).