Sticky Stuff.

stewybill

Reaction score
Hello to all.

Are there any glues you experinced Barbel chasers use on knots please ?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Stewardson

Sheffield.

B

binka

Hello Bill,

In my earlier years I used to use a rig glue just for extra assurance, it was pretty much like superglue in a different tube and I eventually came to the conclusion that it was making the knot brittle once it had set.

Far better imo to take more time tying the knot in the first place as there really shouldn't be a need to glue knots if they are tied properly from the off.

There's plenty of choice but the tucked half blood knot is as good as any.

If knots have been failing it's often a case that the line has been damaged upon tightening, when tying.

Keith M

Reaction score
I have had the same experience as Binka re using superglue on my knots and I no longer use it either.

I use the Grinner knot for all of my barbelling. Not only do I find it more reliable than 'strangle knots' like the blood knot but after tying a few I find it quite easy to tie. Plus it's a small knot and the loose end lies alongside the main line and doesn't stick out like on the blood knot.

Another very reliable knot I'm told is the palomar knot (I hope I've spelt it ok lol)

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have had the same experience as Binka re using superglue on my knots and I no longer use it either.

I use the Grinner knot for all of my barbelling. Not only do I find it more reliable than 'strangle knots' like the blood knot but after tying a few I find it quite easy to tie. Plus it's a small knot and the loose end lies alongside the main line and doesn't stick out like on the blood knot.

Another very reliable knot I'm told is the palomar knot (I hope I've spelt it ok lol)

Keith

Keith, the palomar is a superb knot, a very small knot is left on top of the eye and the hook hangs great. It's also super strong and although for eyed hooks the uni / grinner is my most used knot the palomar is fast becoming my favourite knot for eyed hooks...as the old saying goes "give it try your mother did" ...ok, ok i'll get me coat lol.

stewybill

Reaction score
Many thanks to all.

Ive binned the glue idea, now using palomar, five turn grinner and knotless knot.

So far so good, 10lb 5oz fish tested evetything to its limits and the knots coped perfectly.

Tah

Bill.