Low diameter line for reel line.

dicky123

Reaction score
Any thoughts on a low diameter line I could use for long trotting. Must be low visibility, and a good performer.

Thanks.

Richard.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Any thoughts on a low diameter line I could use for long trotting. Must be low visibility, and a good performer.

Thanks.

Richard.

I'd forget low diameter line as a mainline Richard. Low diameter line has been pre-stretched and so breaks off far easier than a normal mono. You'd be far better off using a normal mono on your reel and add a low diameter hooklength if your fishing requires it.

soft plastic

Reaction score
I'd forget low diameter line as a mainline Richard. Low diameter line has been pre-stretched and so breaks off far easier than a normal mono. You'd be far better off using a normal mono on your reel and add a low diameter hooklength if your fishing requires it.
But because it's pre-stretched and of a far lower diameter you can use a higher breaking strain.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

dicky123

Reaction score
Exactly. I'd like to use a mainline of 8lb minimum for trotting, barbel the quarry.

Thanks all thoughts appreciated.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Exactly. I'd like to use a mainline of 8lb minimum for trotting, barbel the quarry.

Thanks all thoughts appreciated.

Unless there's a serious snag 6lb standard mono is more than adequate.

B

binka

I've got 6lb & 8lb on my 'pins at the moment, mainly down to the fact that I've been using the 8lb for float paternostering livebaits with the 15' float rod.

I used it when we were out the other day as a second, heavier set up for the barbel with a 6lb bottom as I was using the 6lb with a much lighter hooklink on the light stick rig and both worked fine.

I would have been happier with 4lb on the lighter rig but I ain't buying no more pins! :D

dicky123

Reaction score
Steve.

Cannot find that line anywhere, looked hard. Might try Stroft in 10lb as I've used it for fly fishing, and like it.

Meet a chap fishing today with 10lb low diamiter line, it was very thin, and supple. It had been on his reels for two seasons and was as straight and limp as you could wish for. He could not remember the name, but has promised to call me with the name. It had a faint hint of blue to it, but very thin.

Richard.

lutra

Reaction score
Like one or two others on here I don't feel the need to go all high tec with the mainline for barbel trotting.

If you really do, I've hear a few silver fish anglers swear by Drennan Supplex for trotting. Might be worth a go in a suitable heavier BS.

Would all seem like a pointless exercise to me if you need to up the BS over what you would normally need in a mono.

trotter2

Reaction score
I would stick with standard mono as well for a reel line IMO you need some stretch in a reel line. Not only that but its no where near as abrasion resistant as standard mono.
There is a reason why most anglers still use lines like maxima and bayer for a reel line been there tried it.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Standard mono everytime for float fishing for barbel. You need a line with some stretch in it, especially when the fish is directly beneath the rod tip and has one of its "surprising" last lunges that can catch the angler by surprise which is can result in disaster.
Hi tech is too prone to shock so I steer clear .

flossy

Reaction score
presto's reflow ,used it a lot few winters back targeting big chubb ,never let me down .

---------- Post added at 06:46 ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 ----------

Preston,s Reflow that should have read.

bigtreeste

Reaction score
If im roving on the ribble and the water level is low and clear , for trotting its got to be 6lb bayer perlon and if im rolling baits i use the 7lb bayer .

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Is that "Team Silstar" (formerly W.B.Clarke) line still around? I have a Trudex loaded with the 10.2lb B.s. for barbel in tight swims, it's a good compromise between thin (very) and stretchy (a little) and supple. Stays on the surface film pretty well, too.

macko

Reaction score
5lb Maxima on a float rod, then try breaking it, you'll be amazed the pressure you can apply, more than an Avon rod with 6lb line.

ATB Macko

B

binka

5lb Maxima on a float rod, then try breaking it, you'll be amazed the pressure you can apply, more than an Avon rod with 6lb line.

ATB Macko

Yeah but you'll need three tennis courts to take up the stretch! :eek: ;) :D

dicky123

Reaction score
Alan.

Sounds a good compromise, I'll give it a try. I prefer clear line nowadays, and Maxima sinks. I like Bayer, but it's sooo thick even in 5lb.

Cheers.

Richard.

Keith M

Reaction score
There are a couple of other properties that you often need in a good line for fish like barbel, in addition to the lines thickness versus its breaking strain figure.

1. Shock absorbency:
On modern low diameter high tech lines that usually have very little stretch this is usually very low and the ability to absorb the sudden twists and turns of a decent sized fish is very low regardless of its overall stated breaking strain.

2. Abrasion resistance:
A good line for fishing in the places where barbel like to live usually needs to have a good abrasion resistance which will prevent it parting as soon as it rubs up against some sharp reeds, weeds, tree roots, gravel etc.
A lot of so-called high tech lines are fairly deficient in this area.

3. Ability to float well on the surface (if trotting): You most probably know this already Lol.

Suppleness and visibility might be very slightly in favour of high tech lines however without the properties 1 & 2 above I very much doubt if you would be able to land any respectably sized barbel unless it was swimming in a large totally snag free river or pool.

Which is why most barbel anglers would advise you keep away from the so-called high tech low stretch and low diameter lines when you are after a hard fighting barbel.

Keith

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
Hi Keith,

Appreciate your point of view. But most barbel anglers ledger, I'd guess 90%. Then I use Daiwa Tornament in 8lb and 6lb. But for float fishing, I think you really have to think first about presentation.

It's ok thinking about abrasion resistance, shock absorbency, and such if you cannot get bites. Example.

Fished near a chap the other day on the Trent, he could only get bites on such fine tackle, landing a barbel would have been a bonus. After losing several he gave up, not wanting to damage the fish, Barbless hooks yes.

10lb hi etc line can be as low as .20 about the same as 5lb Bayer? On a soft float rod with snags all over the place on the Trent, I'd opt for the Hi tec. But it's only my humble opinion. It then allows one to use a hook link of about 6lb, this would be a fine line with a modicum of stretch.

Richard.

Richard.

Keith M

Reaction score
Yes Richard but I think that you will still be a lot better off using a reel line with a good abrasion resistance when you are after barbel, simply because of the way barbel fight i.e. Constantly hugging the sharp bottom gravel, and tearing through streamer weed, and going around and through reed beds and in and or around tree roots etc. without giving up untill it is finally totally exhausted.

Like some others on here I do most of my barbelling trotting sticks, Avons and balsa floats using 5lb or 6lb hooklengths in the warmer months on streams and small rivers that get a lot of pressure and we still catch plenty of pressured barbel using lines that are not hight tech. It's not like in still waters where the fish get all the time in the world to inspect our bait before taking it anyway so a line that gives you the confidence that it will actually bear up to the pressures of the fight without being too obvious visually is usually a lot more important to us than total invisibility.

A rod that is good for catching barbel is fairly forgiving yet also has the power further down the blank to control a big barbel and even then it doesn't make it easy to control a lot of the barbel that we catch, so using a line that isn't robust enough and has very little stretch is in my view taking a big gamble.

The line that Alan suggested sounds like a fairly good compromise though and might have some the properties that you need in a line and if it gives you the confidence that you need then I think it's well worth trying.

Tight lines
Keith

Last edited: