Okuma epix v2

mickb

Reaction score
Hi there. In the market for a new reel for barbel fishing on the Ribble. Been looking at the okuma epix and they look very impressive for the price. Lovely smooth drag. However I'd like to hear from someone who's had one for a few years? A while ago I had a fox stratos reel which I thought was fantastic. Lovely wide spool for casting, lovely drag but lasted a season. A chat with a tackle shop member of staff confirmed they had a lot of problems with them. So basically can anyone comment on the okuma epix reels that have had them for a few seasons? Do they last the test of time or is it back to the Shimanos?

ken more

Reaction score
Bought one a while ago and i have never used it. (still in the Box) What i have been using for years are the earlier epix pro reel and for the money they have been fantastic. Been using them now for, must be nearly ten years and they have never let me down. Sorry, i realise that this is not much use to you mate:eek::eek:mg:

mickb

Reaction score
Hi ken. It is a lot of use to me because it's the same company so I would hopefully expect the same quality. They look fantastic reels with lots of good features. It was the longevity that concerned me. They are so cheap so I'm thinking they mustn't last very long.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Mick,
I'm not speaking from personal experience. However, the comments I've seen and heard from owners of the original Epix, that eventually had to replace them, is that the V2s aren't as good as the originals. It may be worth you looking on the Barbel Fishing World forum. There were quite a number of Epix fans on there.

mickb

Reaction score
Ok thanks Sam. Will have a look. Usually when somethings too good to be true there's a reason for it. I know I took my fox stratos reel to pieces and the parts were so thin and flimsy looking. It had fantastic line lay, could cast for miles and a superb clutch but the build quality was awful. I will have a look on the bfw website. Thanks for the potential warning on the new epix v2. Much appreciated.

mickb

Reaction score
Hi rigger. Thanks for the links. I thought the older shimano models had sticky clutches. Built to last but dodgy clutch. Is that not true? Also are the gte a lot better than the re models?

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

Sorry that should of said trigger.

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Tigger I meant. This phone is too small for my fingers :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi rigger. Thanks for the links. I thought the older shimano models had sticky clutches. Built to last but dodgy clutch. Is that not true? Also are the gte a lot better than the re models?

Mike, i've always found the clutches to be nice and smooth, not sticky at all. You hear all kinds of nonsense on the net. Put it this way, I still have my GTE's 5000's and 8000's ;).

dave m

Reaction score
i use/have used a few of the old shimano models and found them to be spot on for light to medium carp and barbel.

currently use aero 6010, but have used aero gt 6010, RE6000, gte, and maybe a couple of others of the same era.

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
:)

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

Sorry that should of said trigger.

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Tigger I meant. This phone is too small for my fingers :)

Definitely not true Mick, as far as I'm aware of all shimano reels have good clutches,
I have some of the very first shimano baitrunners that ever exhisted IE 3500 and 4500 sea spin baitrunners that came out in the early to mid eighties, I only have these now for nostalgia show reels :D

The only downfall with these early reels is that they wobble like hell because none of em had the improved dynabalance built into em like the baitrunners of today, the dynabalance was put into the newer versions around the early nineties :)

I personally don't really go much on any modern baitrunners of today but if yer gonna get any I'd go with shimano,

The same sought of reels that tigger has put link up about.

Last edited:

mickb

Reaction score
Bought a second hand 5000 gte as tigger suggested. Beautiful reel of ebay. Feels like I could reel in a sunken tree never mind a barbel. Well chuffed. Thanks for the advice guys.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bought a second hand 5000 gte as tigger suggested. Beautiful reel of ebay. Feels like I could reel in a sunken tree never mind a barbel. Well chuffed. Thanks for the advice guys.

Good choice Mike, they're crackin' reels, i'm confident you'll enjoy using it.

The bad one

Reaction score
Mike as someone who actually owns two of these reels and has used them on the Ribble for the last 3 seasons without any problems whatsoever. And having had and still got the original Epix 40 baitfeeders for over 10 years. I rate the Epix V2s as highly as the original Epixs I have.

The only dowsnide (if it is a downside?) between the two is the originals came with 3 spools and 9 bearings. The V2s have 5 bearings and a single spool. Clearly the cost cutting came in the reduction of the number of spools supplied and loss of the 4 bearings. For me the V2 still have all the main features covered with bearing. The Head bearing, either side of the handles, Bail roller bearing and one in the spool housing.

lutra

Reaction score
Sorry can't help as I'm also 15 years on still trying to bust my original epixs on the ribble and yes the clutches are better than the shimano's i have, with less (sticky) start up pressure needed to get them slipping.

I'm sure your shimano's will do you fine. They are good strong old tractors.:)