Lone Angler Retiring

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
They've decided that now is a good time to close the doors, so if you were uming and ahhing about getting a rod or three, now is the time to do it.

Lone Angler web site

Good luck for the future Trefor, I hope it means more time on the bank :)

thecrow

Reaction score
That's a very short business life, their stuff that I saw was very nice and according to reports I heard did everything it was supposed to do, the only problem I could see with it was price as I believe all the products were made in this country which was always going to make it difficult to compete.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've just stocked up before the end is nigh. There are a few LA items that I own already and rather like. I suspect the originals will last a lifetime, but having spares won't hurt.

mikench

Reaction score
I too have bought the odd thing including his book. He always came across as a nice guy on TV . Caviar pellets whatever next: the fish eat better than I do:)( I bought some:rolleyes:

I can resist everything but temptation! Thanks for posting .

mikench

Reaction score
My package has just arrived and I shall enjoy reading Trefor West's book on barbel fishing( a species I am yet to see let alone catch) and trying the caviar pellets. Shall I top them with a little beluga:wh

I am all set for tomorrow but with caviar pellets, cornflakes, porridge, wheat, artificial bloodworm plus all my usual I will not have a clue tomorrow which to try first, second, at all or how.

I think I would be better off with a stick, line and hook with a worm on the end:rolleyes: Who can speak piscatorial?:w

Why is fishing so complicated?:wh I forgot to add the shippams salmon paste! I will have that on my butties just to reduce the miriad of choices somewhat! Why should the pesky fish have all the treats!

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Why is fishing so complicated?:wh

I don't think its at all complicated as it must seem to someone coming into fishing, shall we say with a bang and on the run later in life.

I bet in another year you will have decided what you like best and probably stick to fewer options. I bet you will refine what methods you catch with most and most importantly enjoy most even if they catch less.

I bet your baits will go the same direction as there is no best bait only those you have confidence with.

Then you will really bag up:)

jasonbean1

Reaction score
My package has just arrived and I shall enjoy reading Trefor West's book on barbel fishing( a species I am yet to see let alone catch) and trying the caviar pellets. Shall I top them with a little beluga:wh

Barbel the new tench then?

mikench

Reaction score
Rearrange this expression "stuffed get":rolleyes:

I have yet to river fish for more than 50 years and barbel may prove as elusive as the tench! Time will tell:rolleyes:

john step

Reaction score
Rearrange this expression "stuffed get":rolleyes:

I have yet to river fish for more than 50 years and barbel may prove as elusive as the tench! Time will tell:rolleyes:

Mike, except perhaps when the water is low and low in oxygen, barbel can be the easiest fish to catch as long as there is a reasonable stock in your river.

They are an "in" fish at present so will come under a lot of pressure in popular stretches at the start of the season. The banks can be unpleasantly crowded in those places.

I think most regulars on here give it a couple of weeks to settle.

Reaction score
To be honest i'd rather fish for barbel from late August onwards,my local venues tend to be better after September(as I only day fish),though these day's populations are well down and fishing can be very difficult...