Feeder fishing - with a float?

carozaco

Reaction score
I haven't tried legering much, or feeder fishing at all - both for the same reason - I wonder if I can spot the bites. So I reasoned that maybe float fishing with a feeder might accomplish the object of getting groundbait right down on the hookbait, and also remove the worry of not being able to spot bites.

Does anyone think this might work / not work? Does anyone have rig they use for it, for example? Or am I just being a bit thick even wondering about it?

T

teecee

I can tell you that back in the 1960s Float ledgering was very popular and as an alternativeto using a lead weight such as an Arsley Bomb some fisherman used a small feeder rather than put the feed in by hand.

The float(usually a porcupine quill in those days)was set over depth and because the feeder filled with groundbait was so heavy the set-up was lowered into the river at the end of the rod(again, in those days it was a 13foot can rod already very heavy)into the swim which could not really be more than 10feet deep otherwise it becamedifficult to handle the rod..Later the float became a slider model which made things easier but it was still fished under the rod because the strike was from the rod-rest so it was fished on a tight line.

The bites were rod-wrenching and you had to be alert otherwise the rod would last be seen heading for the depths!!

I caught many good fish with this method particularly in flood water as the feeder weight held bottom quite well.

However this was before quiver/spring tips and as they do the job so much better and with flexibility the old method became obsolete BUT it was very good for keeping the groundbait near the hook bait!!

Everything changes but the old method would still catch fish!!

Come back if you need more info..................

daren peers

Reaction score
i feeder fish a lot and all i do is have a running openended feeder with a quivertip about 4inch hook length AA shot then feeder let it settle count to 10 wind in that 4 inchs sit and wait for 2 mins then you will b in.

nisa have a new feeder out that im waiting to try itis the floating method feeder u fill it with grounbait cast it sinks and then as it empties it rises to the top leaving justed ya bait at the bottom so u dont even need to wind in.