Setting up a pole/whip? HELP!

Steve Thomas 2

Reaction score
Setting up a pole/whip? HELP!

I have just been given a pole/whip, not sure which, 6 metres with a small fixed ring at the end. I guess this is a whip and I don't use pole elastic? Do I just tie line and float to the ring?

Can someone please explain the the difference between a whip & pole & how I set up mine? THANKS IN ADVANCE... Steve Thomas

Morespiders

Reaction score
I will stand corrected, I had a pole with an eye on the end I cut it off (carefully) just about an inch then put elastic in it with a stoneflo connector, then you tie your rig to that via a loop. Perhaps best gettingit done for you at your local tackle shop.

Then if you get any decent-ish fish on you have the elastic to play them on.

Also you need a PTFE bush in the end of the pole, helps your elastic to run smoothly through

Steve Thomas 2

Reaction score
Thanks...

Your reply makes sense to me, but I guess it was obviously not intended to be used like that?

I guess the alternative is to tie line directly to ring and risk getting snapped off with any bigger fish (using a lesser strain hook link).

Steve Thomas 2

Reaction score
If anyone is interested or has a similar question I have just found "The Margin pole - part 1 & 2" on this site which covers setting up a pole elastic... and Yes, you cut the end off to install elastic.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
There's also a triffic article on Speed Fishing by Peter Jacobs somewhere here- if you don't fancy chopping the eye off yet. Is the tip hollow, by the way? Not much point trying to elasticate a solid one (says he who once went nuts trying to thread mono up power gum, thinking the latter was rig tube!).

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Steve I did what spiders described ,well tackle shop did and as he says it gives you a bit of leeway for any bigger fish you may encounter,seems to be ok.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I also have whips which i have elasticated, no 10 being the heaviest i have used.

This has helped me land tench,bream,crucians and the odd better stamp of roach with no problems what so ever.

Myeldest lad once caught a little baby Zander on a 4mtr whip,flicking in a few maggots every so often.Even at 3 inches long,it had those fangs!!!

Steve Thomas 2

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's advice...

I fished for an hour or so with the pole today (first time), great fun!

Caught a few small roach, skimmer bream & a large gudgeon.

Unfortunately no larger fish that would of needed to be played via elastic.... always next time.