Ground bait for sweet corn hook bait?

mujician

Reaction score
I want to get out with some sweet corn and try feeder fishing. What would be a good feed to use with sweet corn hook bait?

noutbutacold

Reaction score
Depends on a variety of factors, what your after & where your fishing to name but two. There is also a price variable which is a variable.

I used to fish a lot (In France) using vitalin dog food as ground bait (There is a lot of maize and other cereals in it) mixed with water and a squirt of liquid flavor, If you want to spend more I think the majority of 'brand' ground bait is a much of a muchness

To my mind I always use a ground bait flavored similar to my hook bait so if using sweetcorn I would use a sweet ground bait (strawberry perhaps) I would also use the water from the sweetcorn tin to enhance it.

I have previously used sweetcorn blitzed in a food processor mixed with a binding agent (vitalin or bread) to make a ground bait.

B

binka

I have previously used sweetcorn blitzed in a food processor mixed with a binding agent (vitalin or bread) to make a ground bait.

I'll second that and add that there's not much that swims which it won't attract be it on river or stillwater.

Very versatile as it's so easily available 24/7, you can make it as sloppy or as binding as you wish depending on how much water you add and I usually go pretty sloopy via a black cap feeder for both river and Stillwater.

Keep a slice or two over as a change bait if you want to try bread as an alternative.

Big bream especially like it in my experience... good luck! :)

pidgergj

Reaction score
I had an absolute red letter day on wednesday fishing a cage feeder filled with brown crumb, a tin of hemp and a handful of micro pellets, using sweetcorn on the hook, i was catching carp, tench and roach all day.

Laurie Harper

Reaction score
Any of the standard bream groundbaits - from VDE, Sensas, Dynamite, et al - should do. Can be very effective to liquidise a tin of corn and mix it into the groundbait if you're using corn on the hook.

laguna

Reaction score
As stated in sagalout's amino acid thread for groundbaits; I like to use a matching hookbait which compliments the soluble ingredients in my feed. If sweet corn was my hookbait of choice then a blitzed tin of sweetcorn would be added to my groundbait.

There's really nothing wrong with using a mismatch type of feed or an entirely different hookbait but I often wonder what sort of signal this sends out to the fish? Surrounded by a soup of amino acids is counter productive in my opinion but fortunately 99% of the time the groundbait contains macro sized particles which are far too big to contain significant amounts of active amino acids (mostly). However by adding a soluble ingredient to it, it may well send out the dinnerbell message?