rod help!

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wanting to buy a couple of rods, so far I've got a terrible Kingfisher float rod (would've binned it by now but I started fishing with this rod), a Lineaffe telescopic spinning rod which sucks and then I've got my 2 trusty carp rods which I'm happy enough with. I want to buy a couple more (cheap and cheerful) rods to cover a wide variety of methods of fishing.

I'm very keen on feeder fishing and the method has always produced really well for me so far. I've feeder fished the river a fair few times too and, again, this has worked for me. I can feeder fish effectively enough on my carp rods but I want something more forgiving for when I fish small rivers and stillwaters when targeting smaller species, so what should i get? Bearing in mind my budget is low as I'm a student LOL.

Also, as I live nearby the Chesterfield canal, I do a lot of float fishing for roach, perch and bream, so I also want to get a rod that I can continue to do this... looking at a new float rod has proven to be the most difficult for me, as I am wanting to get a rod to cover both light float work on canals and ponds, as well as pellet waggler tactics on bigger lakes after carp to 15/20lb.

I'm not struggling too much with picking a feeder rod but some recommendations would be nice. The float rod is really causing me to struggle though so some help would be very much appreciated! Think of it as if I want both a float and feeder rod, that can cover some heavy duty work as well as the light fishing for the smaller specimens.

thanks, cal.

aebitim

Reaction score
Bit difficult to answer, no budget and a jack of all trade rod really isnt there, daiwa proteus power float and a mach 1 shaky feeder rod at about £100 the pair might fit the bill

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've just bought a rod from the budget end of the market for my nephew. I wanted as cheap as possible without buying rubbish, like many kids, his current enthusiasm might not last too long. I wanted a short float rod that will do a job on the bite a chuck commies that I'll end up taking him to. It'll also have to do a job on a small upland river. I ended up with a Shimano Forcemaster AX Commercial for less than £30. Whilst it's not had a line through it yet, in the shop it felt as good as rods costing significantly more. However, I felt that the 11 and 12' versions left a little to be desired in comparison. There are also matching tip rods in the same range.

slaphead

Reaction score
Why not have a look at a twin tip Avon/Quiver rod.

You already have carp rods to target bigger fish, so an all-rounder of this kind, should suit other types of fishing especially on a budget.

cal_sutt

Reaction score
thanks guys but my budget is somewhat lower than you think hahaha, ive been directed (by my local tackle shop owner) to the middy white knuckle cx feeder and waggler rods which i've had a good luck at and even a good preview of their strength too however these are just a bit out of my price range at around 100 pound for the two...

in order to save myself some money, i've had a good browse around the internet and i've looked into grandeslam rods, ive got two grandeslam bait runner reels and they're fairly sound and really cheap (only fault i can find is the sh*tty line that came on them, which looks like a slinky). so i took a good look through the rest of their rods and there is a really good selection there but the one thing that caught my eye the most was the match/feeder 12ft transformer which has 2 feeder tips and a float tip... its bang on my sort of budget and seems good to me, any opinions? and would it be alright for fishing pellet waggler as well as feeder/bomb and light float work?

pidgergj

Reaction score
TF Gear Compact 8-10ft All Rounder Rod. RRP £119.99. NOW £49.99. | eBay

i use this rod exclusively and cant fault it. 2,3 and 4oz tips as well as the avon tip i use for float fishing. had carp to 12lb on the 2oz tip and silvers with the avon tip and waggler.

---------- Post added at 01:33 ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 ----------

it is worth adding though that i have no great experience of any other rods for comparison, all i can say is that i love this rod and it does everything i want it to do.

Best of luck

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Take a look at the Budget range of Maver rods, not bad at all for the money! Try Leagem in Chesterfield, Phil usually as a good range of Maver rods in! ;)

Forgot to say, the maver rods start at around £30! :)

jake182

Reaction score
The Shakespeare omni and agility rods are good rods for the money, there cheap to, about thirty quid I think

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

jake182

Reaction score
The garbolino rods aren't bad either, I've had a couple and landed some pretty big brutes on them

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk