Reel for JW Avon quiver

Teabreak

Reaction score
When I decided to do a spot of fishing I thought ledgering/swim feeding would do for me so set about looking for a rod. No easy task but settled for a JW Avon.
Reading stuff and YouTube videos seem to suggest that this rod is suitable for float fishing as well. Now I can't decide which reel to buy. Have been looking at drennan 7series but should I get float or swim feeder reel. Only difference seems to be line strength capacity and I don't see me using a line much above 6lbs. I was intending to mainly fish the river but then thought I'd be limited to the season. If I fish lakes then I will float fish. So any thoughts or suggestions of other reels greatly appreciated.

aebitim

Reaction score
Recently bought a couple of mach 3 xt front drags, an 030 and 035, about £30 plus post, very impressed, the 035 handles 6 lb well, loads of spools and a good drag. Not sure if they are still about though.

Teabreak

Reaction score
Recently bought a couple of mach 3 xt front drags, an 030 and 035, about £30 plus post, very impressed, the 035 handles 6 lb well, loads of spools and a good drag. Not sure if they are still about though.

Thanks, had a look and front drag I can't find but I found the rear drag and prefer the look more. On my short list at £35.

---------- Post added at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 23:56 ----------

Had a look but it's a spinning reel. Might be mad but I'm buying off internet without getting the feel of things. I seem to be drawn to rear drag reels. Found korum 3000cs reel as well, anyone got opinion of them.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I would go for the float model.... are the spools interchangeable? may be able to get a spare deeper spool.....

Christian, what is the difference between a float reel and a feeder reel?
Anyone else, fixed spool reels are basically the same aren't they?
Front and back drag are personal preferences, spool depths, single/double handle and size vary but what else makes them either a spinning reel, float or feeder reel?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Same difference...its just a label that gives some idea of size/capacity."Float" typically 3000 [or 030 size] "Feeder" typically 4000 [or 040] size.

They are all spinning reels. Its a generic term for a fixed spool reel. As Simon says position of drag,number of handles are just cosmetics & a matter of personal preference.

retrobob

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a specific reel to use with this rod (specifically I have the 25th anniversary rod with 4 tops, 1.25lb and 1.75lb tc and 1 3/4oz and 3oz quivers)? Will go for 3500 or 4000 size I think.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a specific reel to use with this rod (specifically I have the 25th anniversary rod with 4 tops, 1.25lb and 1.75lb tc and 1 3/4oz and 3oz quivers)? Will go for 3500 or 4000 size I think.

At least the 400 size I think. If the 1.7 tc top is as beefy as my standard JW Avon it can be used for light carp, barbel etc and is good for 500 size reels also. A tackle shop should let you try a couple of sizes for "feel". Take your rod along and ask for a feel?

Last edited: