Boilies

denzinho

Reaction score
Hi

I am not very new but I'm new to targeting big carp. I have bought my first ever pack of boilies which are round balls of goodness apparently. I understand hair rigs etc which I am going to do to catch a "hopeful" 25lb fish or atleast high double's. I am planning on using PVA (the plastic kind) bags to have my bait just sitting underneath my hook. I will be using a semi-fixed lead (2oz lead with lead clip) so the fish hooks its self. Do I have a good plan? without being patronizing.

Thanks

Steve

greenie62

Reaction score
The young Match Jedi should steer clear of The Dark Side - starting playing with PVA Bags and Boilies definitely The Dark Side is! :eek:
Use the Force for Good and avoid the Evil of The Dark Side and the corrupt Trade Federation!
May The Force be with you!
:thumbs:

law

Reaction score
The plastic PVA is commonly known as 'solid bags'.
They can be a pain to make and when I first started using them, left me in many tangles.

I'd suggest using mesh PVA to start. Make a bag just bigger than a golf ball and simply hook it just under the knot.

laguna

Reaction score
Could never understand the point of bags that float, you will end up having to perforate them yourself before casting out anyway... or stick a rock in.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Could never understand the point of bags that float, you will end up having to perforate them yourself before casting out anyway... or stick a rock in.

Solid bags are fine if you prepare them, and their contents, carefully, they certainly shouldn't float. However, when fishing solid bags, the lead, hooklink and hookbait bait usually go into the bag along with the freebie bait.

As law suggests, it's generally a lot less fuss to use mesh bags if it's just for boilies.

denzinho

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies guys...My internet was down for a while and I went to catch the big one using my angling instinct :confused:.

I chose a session pack of Robin red Boilies from Dynamite baits which seemed good value for money on the the type of fishing I was doing. I paired this with 4mm carp pellets from my local tackle shop as I like to support them staying in business rather than buying from online shops(not relevant).

It was a 6 hour session on my local pond which holds probably a couple of 20's, more low doubles than anything. I had a complete change of mind with the rig when I got there, I decided to have a simple running rig because I wanted to strike the fish myself when/if it ran. Good news is I had 4 runs in that 6 hour period with a 7lb 10oz mirror coming to the net. It pretty much eqaulled my PB which I caught the previous week. Then! I hooked a larger fish which came to the net at 9lb 5oz. I was estatic with this result as it was not very far from my first double.

Cut the long story short I caught a 1lb carp and thought hmmm this isn't really going how I thought.....

Then in the last hour of my session which was around 5pm I had a screaming run and when I struck it felt like striking into a brick wall (Not something you everyday just imagine it). After around 5 minutes Of fighting this beast it surfaced and I knew it was "the double" I had been targetting.

What came to the net was fantastic after a good fight and I left the Carp in the net for around 2 minutes just so she/he could get some oxygen back in there system as I setup the unhooking mat etc.

2jzi12.jpg

Here she/he is! The weight was astonishing at 17lbs 10oz I was more than chuffed with the result. In fact after this fish I packed up and decided to go onto a new adventure with the River Avon. Hope that brings some surprises, as this one was sublime.

B

binka

A very well done mate, cracking looking fish and all by the work of your own hand and head.

Now let confidence be King... :w

denzinho

Reaction score
A very well done mate, cracking looking fish and all by the work of your own hand and head.

Now let confidence be King... :w

I'm still new! This forum gave me the advice in many areas of my fishing, of course it helps to be enthusiastic with your hobbies. I thank everyone that has helped me through my journey of becoming a more confident angler with tips and tricks etc.

Thanks for the reply Binka it boost my confidence some what more....I must be doing something right.

boilies for beginners

Reaction score
Well done very nice fish , one tip is I may you can use a running rig in pva bags stick the corners down and pop some very tiny holes in the bag this takes the air out ..but I would say pva mesh is a lot easier I think. Sorry I never read the date lol kind regards

Last edited: