When to lure fish?

denzinho

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Predator fishing is sneaking up on most of us now and I want to fill this winter with a lot of it. I am liking the look of lure fishing in particular...

What are the downfalls with conditions etc i.e flooded water it won't work

I don't really want to deadbait or livebait due to the deadbait smelling....dead and the live bait is just a no no.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
If you are liking the look of lure fishing, then I am assuming you haven't done any previously, in which case it may be a good idea to familiarise yourself with unhooking tools and Pike handling before setting out on your first foray. Plenty of stuff for you to check out on Utube or DVD for your own welfare, and that of the Pike.

Pike ''can'' be caught in almost all conditions but it goes without saying that some are better than others when it comes to lure fishing. Dirty flood water can make life hard for the lure angler. My suggestion in such cases would be to find a stillwater with Pike present untill the flood's ''subside'', at which time you should be back on the river ''quick fast'', as the Pike are inclined to go on a binge at such times. But the by word here is, fish welfare, and your own safety. Only by following these principals can you truly enjoy this fine branch of this sport.

denzinho

Reaction score
If you are liking the look of lure fishing, then I am assuming you haven't done any previously, in which case it may be a good idea to familiarise yourself with unhooking tools and Pike handling before setting out on your first foray. Plenty of stuff for you to check out on Utube or DVD for your own welfare, and that of the Pike.

Pike ''can'' be caught in almost all conditions but it goes without saying that some are better than others when it comes to lure fishing. Dirty flood water can make life hard for the lure angler. My suggestion in such cases would be to find a stillwater with Pike present untill the flood's ''subside'', at which time you should be back on the river ''quick fast'', as the Pike are inclined to go on a binge at such times. But the by word here is, fish welfare, and your own safety. Only by following these principals can you truly enjoy this fine branch of this sport.

Hi Derek,

I have indeed been lure fishing for a couple of hours with an experienced work mate. It is fun, I like the ability to roam which is my prefered style of fishing I think. Flood water has been noted thanks

law

Reaction score
Flood waters tend to be murky, so the lures aren't particularly visible to the pike.
However don't let that put you off. I've had some of my best pike when the rivers are 4ft up. Just fish real smelly baits.

keora

Reaction score
Lure fishing is good from summer to early winter. I've still caught pike from rivers in the depths of winter, although the fishing can be a bit tougher at that time of year.

If you are fishing rivers, I've found that if the river level has risen and the water is coloured with low visibility, lure fishing for pike isn't very effective.

Buy a few lures, change them regularly during the day if you're not getting takes, and move swims every ten or fifteen minutes. Slow moving water seems to be the preferred location for river pike in my view.

mick b

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I don't really want to deadbait or livebait due to the deadbait smelling....dead and the live bait is just a no no.

Biggest Pike I ever saw on a hook (mine) took a spun herring......lost it tho :eek:mg: