Sweetcorn

fishplate42

Reaction score
I am about to go out on my very first fishing trip tomorrow (See my introduction thread HERE) and I have a novice question. I intend to fish with maggots but I was thinking of also having a go with sweetcorn. Will this stuff from Tesco do the job?

This is probably an expensive way of buying it bit I just wanted a small amount to have a go with. Any help or suggestions will be most welcome.

Many thanks,
Ralph.

greenie62

Reaction score
I use the little cans from Lidl/Aldi - multipack of 3 for about £1.09 - then open one at home and split the contents between 2-3 ziplock type plastic food bags, squeeze as much air out as you can and seal them. Flatten the bags and they don't take up much room in the fridge/freezer - they defrost on the way to the fishery.
Many fisheries have a rule that NO Cans to be taken to the water - to prevent littering and danger to wildlife/kids (same thing! :D) - when you've finished for the day the baggies can go back in the fridge/freezer 'til the next trip.

Note - repeated freezing of sweetcorn makes it softer/mushier - can still be used but may be more suitable as loose-feed or mixing with groundbait! This helps spread the cost over several fishing trips. When you get into bait additives / flavour enhancers you can experiment with different flavours in each bag - and mark it on the outside so you know which is which! :eek:mg:
(Also makes sure the missus doesn't use it in your butties/stews/tuna salad!:eek:)

Tight Lines!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
if you have the space and can get on old fridge in your garage (free or cheaply) then you can store maggots, sweetcorn lunchenmeat for a couple of weeks - better stil get a fridge freezer then you can store all manner of baits

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
fishplate42.....I fished sweetcorn this morning using four grains on a hair rig. The corn had been frozen and thawed a few times so it was a bit squidgy but it worked well. In fact I quite like corn when it's a bit softer rather than that straight from the tin.....

For a change I soaked some grains in sweet chilli sauce for an hour and this caught carp that didn't fancy the stuff as it comes from a tin.

Any left over corn or if it's gone too soft can be whizzed in a blender and mixed with ground bait - will last for ages if frozen..

Good luck !!

ps You can flavour corn with all sorts of things just to make it a bit different. You can dye it red with food dye which is good for tench. The thing with corn is that you an use anything from half a grain for roach to several grains on a number 10 hook for other species and it's always easy to put it on the hook or hair rig so you have lots of options !!

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
Personally I prefer frozen sweetcorn. Specifically because it's softer, and also cos it costs £1 a kilo at the supermarket.
My suggestion for you to try, particularly with float or pole, is to gently slide the hook into the soft part of the kernel close to the skin and bring the point out the side leaving it proud. Then gently squash the softer inside so it nearly falls out. It should then flutter down slower and more naturally.
Some fish with the skins only.
Have fun whatever you do and let us know how you go.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys it has been very useful. This really is the place to be I have had more help here in the last 48 hours than I had in two weeks on a couple of other fishing forums. I know where I will be hanging out in future!

So, how did you get on Ralph? Please let us know.

Well, I went fishing and I caught some fish! I started a new thread here:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/beginners-improvers/353732-first-catch.html#post1314211

I have not tried the sweetcorn yet - I was doing fine on maggots! I will try it next time, now I know I can catch the fish...

Ralph :)

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys it has been very useful. This really is the place to be I have had more help here in the last 48 hours than I had in two weeks on a couple of other fishing forums. I know where I will be hanging out in future! Ralph :)

You hang around FM for long and you will become as daft as the rest of us :D

Tip.
When your not fishing or prepping your tackle and bait make a search of previous posts, loads of seriously good info in the archives.

fishplate42

Reaction score

rubio

Reaction score
Congratulations on catching.
Maggots are a safe bet for catching something almost every time. Worms, bread and sweetcorn come next on my list. Pretty much in that order. Soon I'll be going with meat and cheese paste once the water colours up a little.
You will get some great tips on here. I've benefitted a lot from the wisdom of others experiences. My favourite of late was the suggestion to try whitmore mouldings for disgorgers. Can't even remember what they are called. Maybe efgeeco brand. (Someone smarter will know for sure). Had to change very slightly how I hold the line getting the hook out from what I was used to but real happy I have. Thanks by the way.
Save a bit of cash tho cos there's a million and one things you're gonna think are 'essential' soon enough.