Another basic question...

fishplate42

Reaction score
When I finished my first session of fishing yesterday what should I have done with the weights and hook length? Should I keep the weights and use a new hook length next time or keep the lot and just reattach it?

It did not occur to me until I started to pack up...

Ralph :confused:

greenie62

Reaction score
..... Should I keep the weights and use a new hook length next time or keep the lot and just reattach it?.....

I would recommend you use a new hooklength each time. You don't want to lose a fish and think "I should have used..."!

Split shot can be salvaged by re-opening it and dropping it back in the shot dispenser.

Snip the hook off and bin it, then chop the mono into 1" pieces and bin - don't leave lengths of mono for wildlife to get tangled in - on the bank or on the tip!

Some may disagree with the above - they are welcome to! :cool:
Cheers!

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I reuse split shot (except no8 or smaller) - the hook I test for sharpness and keep if still sharp - hook length goes in a plastic back with any tims or can or other rubbish I have (or someoneleses I find ) and take home

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a hook or a hook length more than for one session myself.

Dispose of carefully and safely and re-tie a new one next time out, or do as most of us do and tie-up a good selection in between trips.

As for shot you can re-use it, but I would be very careful how you open it up so as to avoid any sharp areas which will damage your line next time in use.
Again, personally i don't re-use shot either preferring to dispose of it when I get home along with the hook and hook length.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I re-use shot and hooks where i can.

With the hooks, if it aint caught (typical scenario) then it should still be in a good condition, and if it did catch ..then its a lucky hook!

TBH i only tend to keep larger hooks making sure they are dry before returning to mix with others.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
fishplate42.....I agree with what others say in that reusing bigger shot is okay and hooks likewise, PROVIDING you check to make sure they are still sharp ! I think you have to go with what 'feels' right with a reused hook, but don't forget to also check NEW hooks carefully as some can be less that perfect. Don't assume they are dead sharp just because they're new !!

From very sad experiences I suggest you also check the length of line from float to hook that has had shot pinched on and the float moved up and down. I NEVER reuse this section of line and I cut it off at the end of a session. I also hold the line lightly when I wind back onto the reel, again to check for any rough or kinked area (above the float) especially if the line has taken a trip through weed or lilly pads when fighting a fish.

It's pointless to lose a good fish on your next trip for the sake of a few metres of line which doesn't cost a great deal anyway........

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Like most bigger shot gets re used , hooks to nylon - snip the hook off , cut the float off the line and chop the attached line by winding it round my fingers and cutting twice.

law

Reaction score
I use hooks as long as they are sharp. Sometimes 2 sessions. Sometimes 10. No point chucking it if it's sharp still.
As for the hook link, again, if it's in good nick, I'll use it session after session. As soon as it kinks, or has rough bits, it'll get chucked.