centre pin for trout and grayling

sam vimes

Reaction score
My former favourite (Ultima Flo-Cast) has now been out of production for quite a while and my stock is almost exhausted. For that reason I've been giving some alternatives a go. I've tried braids and find them a little too unforgiving for jumping trout and twisting grayling. It's also a little difficult to control properly in wind. It has a tendency to be caught by the wind when attempting to mend the line.

I've been using Kamasan Bayer Perlon recently and have been pleasantly surprised at how good it is considering its low price. I also have a spool of Drennan Floatfish waiting in the wings, but I'm in no hurry to try it due to my satisfaction with the Perlon. This is in spite of the rumour that it is rebranded Perlon.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Exterminate all the brutes!"

Joseph Conrad, in "Heart of Darkness" (Apocalypse Now, if you don't read), about trout.

By any means possible and with a fixed-spool reel, centrepins being far less quick, easy and efficient.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
.... a P.B. for PB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Drearily literal-minded, sense of humour-free, priggish, tosh of a response. It's a puppet!

smudger172

Reaction score
Another typical PB response.

A request for advice met with another load of utter rubbish..

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anything you say, Ducks. Those who don't have any axes to grind here still know how to have fun and recognize a bit of it when they see it. Some fish, others merely serially carp.

B

binka

I've been using Kamasan Bayer Perlon recently and have been pleasantly surprised at how good it is considering its low price.

Blimey, I'm sure that stuff was around years ago when I was first cutting my teeth with the stick as a teenager (six years ago :D)... It had a good reputation as a nice supple line back then and nice to see it's still going.

There was another good stick line too which might have been a Bayer line but I'm not sure... Racine Tortue?

Did Kamasan buy the brand name and rights then, I thought Bayer was originally the independent German manufacturer and distributor?

Edited to add: Damn it, I knew I had some somewhere!

After emptying out my line drawer and inspecting numerous spools I found it in my pike gear, I've been using it for rotten bottoms with paternoster rigs... It doesn't resemble the images that Google brings up for Bayer Perlon and I'm just starting to wonder how long I've had it...

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Blimey, I'm sure that stuff was around years ago when I was first cutting my teeth with the stick as a teenager (six years ago :D)... It had a good reputation as a nice supple line back then and nice to see it's still going.

There was another good stick line too which might have been a Bayer line but I'm not sure... Racine Tortue?

Did Kamasan buy the brand name and rights then, I thought Bayer was originally the independent German manufacturer and distributor?

I remember using it as a nipper too. It came on blue spools with a little plastic V clip on them. The spools had a cartoonish depiction of an angler on them which I understand was the logo of the UK importer. As far as I'm aware, that importer stopped importing it. As Drennan floatfish is supposed to be the same stuff, and Drennan also own Kamasan, it makes sense that "Kamasan" might take over from the original importer to maintain the Bayer Perlon name and market share.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've found Drennan FF and KBP very similar and like/use them both - as an alternative Preston reflo, if treated with a floatant, is an alternative.........

trotter2

Reaction score
Good old bayer is alright, I started using it in the 70s and its still a good line to fill your reels with .:)

Reaction score
I think bayer is the way to go by sounds of it, i've looked it up on ebay and 3.50 for 100m is good. I think i'll go with 5lb main and 3lb leader.
I just need to get some time to get down the river when its not in spate.
Thanks for advice if you have any more for a beginner on the float it would appreciated

sumtime

Reaction score
I think bayer is the way to go by sounds of it, i've looked it up on ebay and 3.50 for 100m is good. I think i'll go with 5lb main and 3lb leader.
Thanks for advice if you have any more for a beginner on the float it would appreciated

£3:50 for 100m? :eek:mg: not good.

keora

Reaction score

5lb line might not float as well as a thinner line. I use 4lb Drennan Supplex when grayling fishing, and the hook length is usually 2.5lb.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Daiwa sensor is my line choice 4lb and 6lb and preferably fished straight through . If the fish are a bit educated then a low diameter bottom (prestons reflo or silster matchman) in roughly the same breaking strain as the mainline and attached via a micro swivel would be my other plan of attack.