Reel lines bs

rikyrik81

Reaction score
Hi.
I'm getting a new reel to partner my new rod which should cover most of my fishing, I'm going to have 2 spools to fill and im after some advise to get it just right.
I like supplex so I think I'll putting that on but not sure the best breaking strains to use, I will be float fishing, waggler on pools and lakes for smaller carp tench perch and roach to trotting on the Thames for barbel and chub.

I'm starting to fish a pool that's about 1.5 acres with specimen roach, perch to 4lb ,tench to doubles and possibly smaller carp, on my last vist I used 3lb line and had a few roach and a perch which apparently was good (probably not lol), would that be about right or is that either to light or heavy?
Ill start waggler fishing with maggots and probably fish the lift method with corn or worm as there seems abit of an undertow.

B

binka

Hi,

Roach to barbel and double figure tench... That’s quite a wide brief.

Two spools make it easier of course and maybe the question should be what breaking strain bottoms are you going to need as, ideally, this will in turn relate to what mainline you use seeing as you have the benefit of planning it that way around?

I suspect that there will be many opinions on this but I’d go for 4lb or 5lb on the one for the roach and perch knowing that it won’t be out of place attached to a 2lb (and upwards) hooklink or fished straight through if not too snaggy for the small carp and average tench with the benefit that it could also double up for for the chub if, again, the swims aren’t too snaggy.

I’d then put 8lb on the second for the barbel and bigger tench… Ideally I’d go heavier for the barbel subject to local variations but I find it gets a bit unworkable on the float and running water above 8lb.

None of the above would be my ideal single species line ratings but I’m trying to come up with something versatile with which you can cover a wide range of applications subject to the added versatility of the hooklink range.

Your rod will also have a big bearing on the mainline strength, what rod is it as I’m struggling to think of more than one which will cover the ratings I would consider suitable from 2lb – 8lb and the even wider range of weights of all of the fish that you mention?

One thing's for sure there is no "one size fits all" solution on the line rating, I don't think you will be too far out on those suggested though.

rikyrik81

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

Is pretty broad range isn't it, basically I'm mainly targeting middle of the range with the bonus of small and larger fish depending what's around, the rod is Drennan Matchpro (not ultralight) in 13 ft