im beginning lure fishing HELP

parker0000

Reaction score
I'm just getting in to lure fishing, ive read afew bits but I'm still striking out (trying to catch my first pike), what's best colour and size and depth to fish at this time of year (fishing on a canal at moment), how do you find pike when there are no features on the stretch of canal im fishing or do I need to find somewhere else to fish, would also like thoughts on river fishing with lures, I really want to get that first pike out of the way, any advice will be greatly appreciated cheers

law

Reaction score
Use barbless hooks for certain. Ive been pike fishing for 20 years and see no need to use barbed hooks at all.
I've also recently bought one of the rubbery Fox nets. They are brilliant as the hooks dont get caught up in the mesh.

But as for lures, depths etc- you can't give an answer really.
I've had pike take lures as I'm about to pull them from the water, but also, from the very bottom of deep holes.
And likewise, a lure that works one day, might not work for a few trips after.
I take a selection of lures, cover the water infront of me then move on. Then on the way back up stream, I'll try a different lure or 2.

I prefer smaller lures in rivers as there is a chance of perch and chub too :) I'll only use big lures if there is no perch present.

flatsfishing

Reaction score
I'm just getting in to lure fishing, ive read afew bits but I'm still striking out (trying to catch my first pike), what's best colour and size and depth to fish at this time of year (fishing on a canal at moment), how do you find pike when there are no features on the stretch of canal im fishing or do I need to find somewhere else to fish, would also like thoughts on river fishing with lures, I really want to get that first pike out of the way, any advice will be greatly appreciated cheers

Welcome to one of the most exciting avenues of fishing...save your pennies because lure fishing is addictive and you will buy lures, then some more lures and then more....etc

River fishing with lures is one of my favorites...they can throw up anything from little jacks to 30lb plus fish, all of which can be caught almost under your feet - so that's my first tip - don't neglect the margins, I have caught more river pike on the last few turns of the reel handle than I have at any other point in the retrieve. If you see a pike following your lure in - do not stop winding! if anything, speed up a bit to try to induce a take, then hang on.

As to which lures, well the selection is endless and the most successful lure will be the one which you have the most confidence in, match them to the casting weight of your rod and venue and experiment. I love fishing soft plastics, some hate them. They are very cheap and a good start and don't break the bank when you lose one to a snag.

If you are not catching, then try not to....that sounds odd I know, but clip on a lure which you have little confidence in and then just experiment with it, mess about in the shallow water and see what action you can get from the lure...very often by stopping trying to catch, you will catch.

Take a break...if you are not catching then stop fishing for a few minutes, this rests the water and also gets you out of the monotony of casting and retrieving. To be a successful lure angler you have to concentrate, hard.

I could write a lot more but won't as half the fun is experimentation, have a read of my beginners guide to lure fishing on my blog and see if that helps.

Tight lines.

Last edited:

bazilrush

Reaction score
I have also just started with lures and attempted to catch perch on a recent canal trip. I failed but i did catch a modest pike in a swim i had tried half hour before with no luck. I felt it moved into the area rather than i had cunningly tracked it down, i believe attracted by the vibrations from my spinner. Could be wrong obviously as im no expert but would personally start on a featureless stretch with a spinner type lure hoping to bring in a bit of interest

jet53

Reaction score
Also use good quality traces of adequate length (minimum 18 inches / 450mm).

I've seen cheap traces for sale that were only about 6 inches / 150mm long and using these could easily lead to a large pike 'biting' through the mono above the trace (actually the sharp teeth in a Pikes mouth tend to cut the line rather than it actually bite in the true sense of the word).

Always carry decent long nosed pliers (better grip for some situations), a good set of long forceps and I always used to carry a pair of wire cutters with handles I extended myself for those rare occasions when you may have to cut up a hook.

Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and go with someone who has experience with unhooking pike as they can be quite a handful. You will actually find the larger Pike easier to unhook than the jacks as there is more room in the pikes mouth to work with.

Like any other fish, use an unhooking mat and above all stay calm and once you've unhooked a few your confidence will grow.

In the their own environment the Pike is a supreme predator and one of natures most ancient and successful designs but on the bank Pike are extremely vulnerable.