Waggler set up

l0ftyl0ng0ne

Reaction score
Can't quite get my head around the whole set up, I start of fishing and all is well float is floating as should but as time passes the float starts sinking after casting? I'm using 2+2 BB waggler so I put 2 BB either side of the waggler is this correct or have I got it wrong? Any advice much appreciated. Managed this on float

3c23b98f716eac7c4cef3fb3eece6a6a.jpg

This was caught ledgering.
70a0358e0ab102cb66b974f493c44ece.jpg

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Check the float for small cracks on varnish tihat łet in water or if it's plastic and small crack in the plastic

Also I'd use smaller shot and more of them so you can change the shoting pattern

Was there any wind that could have caused tow under water making your float sink

l0ftyl0ng0ne

Reaction score
Ah that makes sense I did catch a tree a few times so possible crack in float. Will have a play with the shotting next session and see how goes.
Thanks for the reply

rubio

Reaction score
Sometimes even the line taking on water can sink and take the tip under after a while. Drennan glow tips can be prone to this. I don't see much wrong with what you're already doing. Light float, so ya can't be fishing at distance. I carry a small tub(old shot tub usually) of vaseline. That should get your float back on the top. If I'm using a pole float for crucians i often overshot very slightly and use the vaseline to hold it in the surface tension. Needs to be calm surface to avoid annoying you tho.

Keith M

Reaction score
If it helps; here's a standard shotting pattern for a waggler which is sensitive and relatively tangle free on the cast.

ShottingPatternsLongDistance.gif

The weight printed on the float is an approximate total weight needed to cock the float and not the actual shots that should be used. For example a 4BB float could typically be shotted with: a No8 shot a few inches from the hook, a couple of No6 shot at just over half depth and the rest of the shot at the base of the float, with the total weight of the shot equalling 4BB in total.

Here is a shot conversion chart which may be of help to you when using different shot sizes to shot your floats.

SplitShotConversionChart.gif

Tight lines

Keith

Last edited:

l0ftyl0ng0ne

Reaction score
Thanks for the help and valuable information given. I got some peacock floats and changed my shotting and all seems to be well. Floats sitting and floating as it should and the fish are biting so happy days.