Mainline to braid, best method

t3335e

Reaction score
Good afternoon folk,

What would be the best method of joining mainline mono to braid?
The braid leaders i have been given have loops, so would it be wise to join them loop to loop? or even stick a swivel inbetween?

Cheers

sumtime

Reaction score
.....and yer can't go wrong with a blood knot either, tied one this morning, excellent knot.

law

Reaction score
Do not use a blood knot with braid.
Unlike mono which tightens down on itself due to the stretxh, braid doesnt and will slip eventually.

sumtime

Reaction score
Law, you must be tying it wrong :) it's never failed me yet but I do use both, Albright for shock leaders, the blood knot when on the tip or spinning for me.

Windy

Reaction score
Depends on how thick a braid and mono you are using. In the larger, heavier weights and thicknesses then knots can work - though not optimally.
In the smaller, thinner weights and thicknesses then IMHO (having experimented at length some six or seven years ago) you have to use a micro swivel.
Thin braid knots to a metal swivel loop ok. Just don't use a blood knot, as stated. Grinner or variant.
Anything else but a swivel, whether braid or mono or whatever, it simply cuts through like a cheesewire through.... well, cheese :rolleyes:

law

Reaction score
Law, you must be tying it wrong :) it's never failed me yet but I do use both, Albright for shock leaders, the blood knot when on the tip or spinning for me.

It will fail you at some point.
I was in your boat. Was convinced theyd hold. But at the back of my mind I kept hearing my mate telling me it'd slip, so Id cut a longer tag end.
Watching one of my blood knots undo iteslf and loose a fish was bad enough. When said carp came out of the lake a week later at 60lb, still trailing my rig was enough to stop me using them again with braid.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Small swivel.

Go through eye twice on the braid.

Don't use braid mainline and short mono or fluro hooklink.

Graham

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score

Why not Graham?

I use a three or four turn water knot to attach mainline to leader. Braid to Mono or Braid to Fluro. It works fine with 15lb power pro to 12lb or similar mono or fluro. Game anglers use this knot all the time. Yanks sometimes call it a surgeons knot which can get confusing (it's not!) but this is the one I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsmYv8swk60

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Hi Geoff.
Yes use the same knot myself....even yesterday on the leader at Farmoor.

But the trout rods are designed to deal with the sudden jumps and lunges of the quarry as well as the buffer of the line used eg floating/ intermediate etc.

Very different on a barbel or carp rod at 1.5 to 3+

Using minimal stretch braid as main line any sudden lunge puts all the pressure into the mono or fluro hooklink and it simply cannot stretch and bang that bigger than average fish is lost.

Seen it happen too many times even on a vicious take. On long hook links say over 2ft you can often get away with it.

Mono mainline and braided hooklink fine.

Geoff. The bs you are using may be ok but don't count on it always IMO.
Graham

barbelboi

Reaction score
Small swivel.

Go through eye twice on the braid.

Graham

I take it you have a spot of bother tying the Albright knot then Graham.....;)

Only joking mate, hope you’re keeping well......................

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score

Okay. Makes sense. I usually use a mono or fluro leader water-knotted to braided mainline only for lure fishing. It's around 30" at the start but gets shorter as the day goes by with lure changes shortening it. Very rarely do I use this in the UK (use a swivel here) but when I used to regularly fish Florida I used it every day.