Fishing kit in survival tins

dalepgray

Reaction score
I know nothing about fishing.

However I do a lot of outdoor activity sports and travel to some very out of the way places. Hence I carry a small survival tin in my pack as it contains back ups and emergency supplies that sometimes come in handy.

I know how to use everything in the tin except for the small fishing kit. I've often thought I should learn what to do with it but have never got round to it.

Today I stumbled upon this forum so I thought I'd bring up the subject.

I live in Derbyshire UK, anyone got any suggestions

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I think if I was stuck in the arse end of nowhere then in most circumstances my time would be better spent getting assistance or to a place of safety rather than faffing about fishing.

dalepgray

Reaction score
Yes Ray I agree with you totally, however it has peeked my curiosity and I would like to learn the basics anyway so how do I go about it

Mr Cholmondeley-Corker photo uploaded, I think, not going to try and name what is there :)

I would assume I would have to buy some fishing kit in order to learn, as I would assume making do with a small quantity like this would be hard?

The Sogster

Reaction score
Can't really see the kit in the photo however I would think that what you have is mostly suited to hand lining, think small children beaches and a winder with bright orange line and a weight.

It will catch you fish in an emergency situation with patience but is not what most members on here use on their regular fidhing trips.

Having said that, if it is hand lining you could always try a 'bolt' rig. A forum search will give you a full understanding of this.

B

binka

I can't see the picture in any detail but if you wanted to replace what's in there with something more effective I would seriously consider a pen rod...

Mini Portable Aluminum Alloy Pocket Pen Shape Fishing Rod Pole Reel Silver UK | eBay

Intuitive to use and I think the tiny, compact reel will also fit into the tin.

I've used one and had pike to 5lbs+ on it no bother at all, a couple of small spinners and a trace or dig some worms and I think you would be in with a far more realistic chance of catching a fish or two to sustain you in an emergency.

Appreciate that wasn't your question but it might be easier to use than what you currently have.