Lesson for Beginners in Domestic Harmony

kenpm

Reaction score
After returning from Ireland some years ago we knew there had been spillage during the week but we thought most of them had been collected or swept out of the car on the last day.
The car was booked into a garage the following weekend for a replacement CV joint and some other stuff so it was dropped off and left there for a few days.
The garage rang later in the week enquiring if there was something dead in the car as the workshop was "black with flies"

oops.....so you will get some grief but flowers were on offer in Tescos.

john step

Reaction score
Worst smell in the world?? My sandwich makers father was an undertaker and I helped" collect" the" customers" on occasion. Those that had turned beat any other smell hands down or should I say stomach up!!!!!!!!!!!

robtherake

Reaction score
Worst smell in the world?? My sandwich makers father was an undertaker and I helped" collect" the" customers" on occasion. Those that had turned beat any other smell hands down or should I say stomach up!!!!!!!!!!!

Think of all the maggots you could grow on a body. It's such a waste, sticking them in the ground; a waste of land, wood and metals, time and effort. I read something recently about graves: there have been incidences of people becoming poorly where a high water table dissolves the metallic salts from the corroded metal fittings found on coffins, which then finds its way into the water supply. Far better to turn bodies into fertiliser, although more sensitive souls might disagree :eek:

Back on the subject, wet pinkies can escape through the tiny square ventilation holes in the lid of a Drennan Maggibox. It's then a relatively simple matter for them to slip past the refrigerator door seal and bury themselves in the tight weave of a kitchen carpet. Took me hours to get the bleeders out again!

richardallen

Reaction score
I'd no idea this would create such interest.

Suffice to say, that the car came through unscathed as indeed have I. Maggot box bought and now I'm lining up an old camping fridge for maggot duty.

Thanks for all the advice.

john step

Reaction score
Think of all the maggots you could grow on a body. It's such a waste, sticking them in the ground; a waste of land, wood and metals, time and effort. I read something recently about graves: there have been incidences of people becoming poorly where a high water table dissolves the metallic salts from the corroded metal fittings found on coffins, which then finds its way into the water supply. Far better to turn bodies into fertiliser, although more sensitive souls might disagree :eek:

Back on the subject, wet pinkies can escape through the tiny square ventilation holes in the lid of a Drennan Maggibox. It's then a relatively simple matter for them to slip past the refrigerator door seal and bury themselves in the tight weave of a kitchen carpet. Took me hours to get the bleeders out again!

Pollution from dead uns. I read somewhere that one or more of the famous Bronte women died from cholera from the seepage from their vicar fathers graveyard.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'm surprise Greenie hasn't been on to laud the Welsh system of burial beneath land over which sheep may graze.
Wouldn't work round here, the nearest sheep are on the slopes round the drinking-water reservoirs of Chingford or in play-farms; but has a lot going for it elsewhere.

Didn't Lloyd-George ask to be disposed of thus?

floatfish

Reaction score
On the subject of the dead, late friend of the family was an Undertaker, he had the contract with the local Police and Docks authority to collect any remains found. He always said the worst job of the lot was when a seaman returning to his ship from a night out, fell from the gangplank into the dock and was lost.
Some stayed lost for weeks on end, then surfaced when disturbed by a ships propeller turning. He said that recovery was the most stomach churning event that could be imagined. And the smell.!!!