Lesson for Beginners in Domestic Harmony

richardallen

Reaction score
On the way to the Moreton Show for a family outing yesterday I popped into the tackle shop with my maggots box for a pint of mixed, ready for today's trip.

On reaching the show, we parked up and I put the box in the boot of my wife's car under a coat to keep it cool as best I could.

Several hours later we returned to the car and opened the boot.

Maggots everywhere.

She was not best pleased.

Fortunately she has a boot liner, so I was able to recapture the blighters.

She is still not best pleased.

My lesson - make sure the lid is on tight !

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have two points.

The first is an object. The second is that leaving a top on a bait box, even in a relatively cool environment, is asking for sweaty maggot trouble. In the situation you were in, you'd have been better off removing the lid of the bait tub and placing it under the car.

floatfish

Reaction score
Are you sure you got them all ? The ones in the boot liner are the ones that escaped last.!
Pray that some of the b****ers did not make it over the liner lip into the fabric of the car.
If so in about tree weeks or so, your name will be " MUD".
Lady wife will be even more not pleased.

richardallen

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip's, will do better next time.

Cooked the kids' tea tonight so I am less in the doghouse than I was.

B

binka

I reckon she's in for a few flies, maggots can stick to just about anything vertical when sweaty including the sides of a boot liner.

Buy her a fly swatter and tell her to deal with it! :eek: ;) :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I have two points as well...

Firstly, leaving bait box under the car can result in total loss, as happened to me at a car park in Reading Berks back in the 70's. Bought the mags. and went shopping for a few bits - -maybe an hour. Came back and box gone !
I don't recall seeing anyone, AND the box was behind the front wheel.....

What's wrong with folk in Reading ??? Maybe it's a cult thing - who knows..

Second point...DON'T leaver mags in a box in a garage WITHOUT the lid on, 'cos they can climb pretty damned good !!

Bluebottles ? Yep, I've seen bluebottles - for months afterwards !!!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Me and my then sidekick had the best part of 3 gallons of maggot do a Colditz on us when fishing in Ireland. We stripped the car cos we needed the bait but for months afterwards we had spontaneous hatches of buzzbottles in the car. I left the lid off a goodly load in the garage when still at home. Me old mum nearly died of shock when she went to get her bike out.

But the odd escapee maggot is as nothing to a tub of rotten worms in the utility room. I was lucky to escape alive from that one !

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Maggots in the car....??? you lightweights.......:wh Try having a break out of squatts from their box in the main house fridge... they got into everything:eek:mg:

Jeez.... I got a right coating off the missus from that one:(

B

binka

I remember two distinct maggot breakouts which landed me in trouble, both from my childhood.

The first was when my elder sister was moving back to Mansfield from Sheffield, she and her husband where living with us for a short while having found a buyer and completing the sale of their former house before their new one was ready.

The garage resembled a walk in wardrobe with lots of those open clothes rails that you see in dry cleaners and such, we had gone on a family holiday down to Cornwall and I had left well over a gallon of maggots in a large bucket with no lid!

Suffice to say I had a clip round the ear from elder sis on my return, her descriptive being that "It was just like a black cloud as soon as I lifted up the door" :D

The other was when I was about nine, I didn't have a basket or box and crammed as much as I could into an old rod holdall (Efgeeco?), one particular evening I had gone to a local lake after school before making my way home in the dark and putting my rod holdall in my bedroom wardrobe where it always lived.

After going to bed I awoke a couple of hours later to a strange rustling noise which I traced to my baitbox which was wrapped inside a plastic bag and still wedged in my rod holdall but the lid had come off and the damn maggots where everywhere, even disappearing into the weave of the carpet :eek:mg:

There was one more occasion where they had escaped one Sunday afternoon in the local church hall where my gear was sat awaiting a session on the local dam after I had helped out with a tea day for the elderly, I got away with that one though on the basis that they had come out of the biscuits which were then rapidly withdrawn from the tables because of it.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I had an escape of maggots in the garage - I'd left the box on the floor and must not have put the lid on properly

I thought I'd got most of those that had escaped - but a couple of weeks later there garage was full of bluebottles and this went on for weeks

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Maggots in the car....??? you lightweights.......:wh Try having a break out of squatts from their box in the main house fridge... they got into everything

I didn't bother mentioning the minor outbreaks. Time was that there was a pint of pinkies in my fridge from November to March. Often quite literally !

There is not a container known to man that a pinkie cannot escape from. The veritable Houdini's of the larval world.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I didn't bother mentioning the minor outbreaks. Time was that there was a pint of pinkies in my fridge from November to March. Often quite literally !

There is not a container known to man that a pinkie cannot escape from. The veritable Houdini's of the larval world.

you've obviously never had a whole pint of squatts coating the inside of the wife's food fridge (including the food) or suffered the grade 'A' slagging that wimmin are capable of in this instance:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

B

binka

All this talk of messing up the missus's car...

It's not quite maggots but the first ever girl I lived with had just bought a brand new car and she had offered to drive out somewhere nice for a drink that evening.

I'd had one too many (probably getting me moneys worth as she never offered to drive) and I felt sick on the way home.

Sensing this she put her foot down to get home a bit quicker which just made things worse and I ended up winding the passenger window down to rop me guts up but didn't quite make it which resulted in a messy splatter all down the INSIDE of the car which ran nicely down into the door panel itself :puke:

I cleaned it up the following morning but it would still take people by surprise months afterwards when they'd had the window down and wound it back up only find a random bit of carrot stuck to it :D

rubio

Reaction score
Yep, Pinkies are the worst.
My own worst effort was 2 pints of flouro pinkies dispersed throughout the fridge. Also out of the fridge. Indeed out the fridge and inside the freezer. Separate white goods items these too. The intermittent spontaneous hatchings so many others have experienced naturally followed. Impossible to predict and plan for, Even if I could afford to send her off to the spa for a few days now and then.
My car has numerous such occurrences weeks and possibly even months since I've bought a maggot.
I'm afraid handing out a fly swat isn't gonna be enough. Way too many of the buggers aren't even worthy of their name. They can'y fly at all, and loads just amble lamely around cos they haven't developed properly. I often get a stern look if when driving I reach out my left hand to gently stroke the hair or the cheek of my beloved. She thinks I should have both hands on the wheel, and quite right. I believe in safety first and wanna be sure that greenbottle doesn't get up her nostril and leave me to drive safely, and to restrain a wild eyed flailing beast, that whilst presently consumed with fear, will soon turn predatory and strike out randomly.
This forum is often a font, if not always of wisdom, then at least one of experience. Wisdom comes to oneself only from reflection. This thread is a gem amongst those focussed on essential fishing issues. Bait, tactics and everything else are secondary to getting out in the first place. Personally I find it very hard to walk past an angry gatekeeper. I do sometimes, cos I'm a bloke, but I find it harder to relax and enjoy the quiet.
My contribution, from my own experience, is never under any circumstances put maggots in a shared fridge. The one possible exception is to help rationally justify buying a new fridge for her and the original is yours to use as you please.
Maybe also I could add...................................................................... don't take pinkies anywhere near a raincloud. Moisture form a cow's breath is enough to get a least several hatchings from escapees. Of which there are always some, no matter what manner of russian doll bait box you can conceive of.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
All this angst about a few escaped maggots and fuming partners is highly credible, BUT how many wives have left home because of them eh ?

Yes, some may withdraw ' favours ' for a while, banish you to the spare bedroom, and ask you to wash your hands ( again ) prior to getting into bed, but overall they still love you ..................................don't they ?

Let me think on that for a bit ......

ps I think most see past a few lose maggots when it comes to mowing the grass, cutting the hedge, decorating and doing the washing upe........eh, eh, eh ??

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think most see past a few lose maggots when it comes to mowing the grass, cutting the hedge, decorating and doing the washing upe........eh, eh, eh ??

. . . . . . . not to mention when it comes to their:

Birthday
Anniversary
Bad hair day, so need a present day
Friday wine and chocies day
. . . . and endless other days when they feel the need to be pampered!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
you've obviously never had a whole pint of squatts coating the inside of the wife's food fridge (including the food)

Have I not ? I said I'd not mentioned the minor outbreaks. My family once came round for Sunday lunch & enjoyed Roast Leg of Lamb with a secret Fluoro pinkie stuffing. Eat your heart out Heston Blumentartychef.

Last edited: