5 year old daughter advice

waynec22

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm just looking for some advice for my daughter. We are going for a weekend break where there will be fishing, my 5 year old would love to catch a fish and keeps asking for her own rod "like daddy".

Obviously I will be right next to get the entire time helping, but a normal rod will get too messy. Now I've been told to get a whip, the thing is I've never used or even seen anyone use a whip, I have always used a feeder rod.

So. ..Can anyone advise what I should be looking for, and how I would use it? I have seen varying lengths and some day elastic and all sorts,do I just buy ready made rigs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Wayne,

For a youngster then a short whip is the perfect entry level tool as there is no reel to get tangles with and it is fishing in its' simplest form.

If the venue has a good head of relatively small silver fish then she is almost guaranteed to catch.

The rig is very simple, with a main bulk of shot and just one dropper shot and a small hook length around 4 to 6 inches, and a float of around 1 gramme per foot of water depth you expect to fish for a beginner will help with setting the line out nicely.
Small hooks for one or two maggots are fine and for ease of unhooking then a barbless hook is probably best.

Don't be tempted to buy an elasticated whip, as one with a traditional "spaghetti" top is perfectly adequate for silver fish.

The length of the whip is really dependent on the depth of the water you are fishing, but a 4m whip that is telescopic can also easily be shortened to 3m by removing the bottom section.

some years back I wrote an article on Short Whip fishing so hopefully you might get some extra hints or tips from this.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-feat...ral_fishing/9225-peter_jacobs_short_whip.html

Unfortunately when we moved servers most of the pictures were lost . . . . but the text remains.

Good luck

sumtime

Reaction score
This was my g/daughter's first attempt with a whip (5m) she was quite happy catching small perch.
When we get the time she uses my four piece travel rod, very light too. The doll is not mine. :rolleyes:

waynec22

Reaction score
Fantastic! Thank you both for the replies they have been very helpful.

I will be sure to get a "spaghetti " top short whip, it sounds perfect for a few little fish to make her day.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Just in case she's a sensitive soul, sticking to "grocery" baits - bread, hemp, corn, cheese and meat will prevent issues like "poor little maggot" and the messy scenes that can ensue when a small perch takes a wriggler. She can work through such issues when she's older.
It wouldn't hurt to have a practice session (or several - [wink]) on your own, first; having an impatient child watching you discover that there might be a bit more to this than meets the eye isn't the best. Plus it's great fun, and an hour's session should see you confident.
Ready made rigs are fine, but have a spare or two, and some bits to make up new ones in case of tangles - the whole rigs, bits, disgorgers and scissors will fit into a pencil tin, and you'll never need to get bored waiting for the biggies again.
"Darling, do you mind if Daddy borrows your rod?"
Hey, if Dad wants to borrow it, it MUST be good!

robtherake

Reaction score
Best thing's to leave your own rod at home for the first session or two, so you can give her your undivided attention. Once she's in the swing of things (and tangling up a bit less) you can fish together. It'll not be long before she's asking for a go of the "big rod," you'll see. :)

This is my youngest, Holly, having fun (she's at Uni now :eek:) Note that she's progressed to a pin by this point, having appropriated my gear at the start of the day, the little minx. :D

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I started both of my kids on 5mtr and 6mtr whips. (not the elasticated type) and they loved it, and both still love it today 30 years later although most of the time they use different rods and reels today.

Floats were small 'canal blues' or similar small bottom only wagglers shotted with bulk shot around the base of the float and one or two tiny shot at just over half depth and one dropper nearer the hook, and hooks were usually barbless size 18s on 2lb to 3lb hook lengths.

They can practice their under-arm, over-head and sideways casts and swing small fish to hand without having the added complication of using a reel.
Plus a whip is a lot easier for a 5 year old to wield.

Tight lines and hope she loves fishing.

Keith

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
The lads have covered the advice so I have little to add, only to say make sure you take a camera and back the photos up. Lost all mine from taking my children fishing.

andygh

Reaction score
Be warned, it gets expensive, My 9 yr old Grandson wants a seatbox, a feeder rod and a bivvie for his birthday :eek:

Steve King

Reaction score
10373841_10152458554151322_7454986983252382608_n.jpg

A whip is easy for kids to get the hang of. The photo above is Leah's first carp (she was 5 at the time). She has since landed bigger fish and sometimes uses a 6ft rod and reel combo (although she can't cast yet!)

robtherake

Reaction score
Be warned, it gets expensive, My 9 yr old Grandson wants a seatbox, a feeder rod and a bivvie for his birthday :eek:

You know, I always thought I'd hand down all the gear that I don't use any more BUT THE LITTLE GETS CAN BUY THEIR OWN! MY PRECIOUSSES. :D

waynec22

Reaction score
Thanks very much for all of the help and advice.

We all had a great day, she used a 5m whip and won a little competition between us as she caught the most fish, a total of 9 roach which she was over the moon with.

She even wanted to hold them with me for the photos.

I might even take the whip along with me for those days I'm waiting a while on the feeder rod.

Thanks again everyone.