Unhooking trouble

rich66

Reaction score
Hi I've returned to fishing after too long a break, but now I'm older I'm struggling to unhook a lip hooked fish. My fingers get quite hard and thick skinned from dermatitis/work so having trouble gripping or feeling the hook. Any suggestions I was thinking forceps ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Forceps can be good with larger sized hooks. For smaller hooks, disgorgers are my preference. I don't go fishing without a set of forceps and disgorgers of at least two different sizes.

The best disgorgers I've ever used, bar none, are the Exceed type. They knock spots off everything else.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I too have great trouble unhooking fish, my fingers are arthritic, this steers me to mainly using larger hooks (easier for tying too). My preferred method is with forceps but having damaged the mono on several occasions I now always use heat shrink over the shank which offers the neccessary protection.

I've just purchased the Exceed disgorger after reading about them here, bit of a struggle but will persevere as this ultimately has to be the best and safest way.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I use barbless hooks Rich. Most of the time, the hook comes out once the fish is in the landing net which might not sound good, but I don't think I have ever lost a fish because of barbless hooks.

I rarely need to use a disgorger except for perch as they swallow the hooks.

It suits me anyway :)

greenie62

Reaction score
The only hooks I've had problems with recently have been the Guru QM hooks with their angled 'curved-in' points.
They provide a really good hold but don't unhook so easily when releasing since you need to 'over-turn' them. Probably not ideal for speed-fishing/matchmen:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I nearly always use a disgorger, even when the hook is perfectly place in the lip, it does a much better job of removing the hook cleanly and quickly than fingers do.
I don't like forceps as they keep slipping off the hooks, imo a pair of long nosed pliers i n the desired size are much better.

rich66

Reaction score
Thanks folks, never occurred to just use a disgorger on a lip hooked fish
I've got the EX-ceed ones they are great.
I use barbless kamasan wide gape mainly, still can't get them out either!
I'll buy my self a small set of forceps and try with the disgorger too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lambert1

Reaction score
I bought an Exceed disgorger on Sam's recommendation and have to say it is brilliant. The rivers I fish have loads of small Perch that wolf the bait down and getting the hooks out quickly without harming the fish was difficult. This disgorger makes it so much easier and quicker. I can still get hooks out with my fingers, but switch to a disgorger if it will be quicker.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of people who like the exceed disgorgers but I prefer drennan versions, they seem more robust than the exceeds.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The Drennans are not as good for measuring in the 'tiny Binca tinca' competition though...............;)
tinytinca%2019may_zpsqbximdku.jpg