What to try next

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
I'm always float fishing which is fine and I enjoy but I suppose I should try something new but I'm just not sure what as there is so much choice!

I'm after a good method which is good for anything that swims, I can try on carp lakes but then also good with the small silver fish.

Over to you lot to suggest please :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What about sea fishing, it's bass off the beach time right now.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can't think of any non-predator coarse fishing method that won't catch anything with fins, large or small, unless you use large hooks and big baits. The possible exception might be legering with big fixed/semi-fixed leads. However, provided you scale down appropriately, even this method can be used for the smaller species and will still catch the big ones.

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
What about sea fishing, it's bass off the beach time right now.

Sticking to coarse fishing and live no where near the sea! Just a different method on the lakes etc

---------- Post added at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Someone on Facebook has suggested trying the method feeder, Do I need bite alarms for this?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Someone on Facebook has suggested trying the method feeder, Do I need bite alarms for this?

You can use bite alarms in conjunction with method feeders. However, the vast majority fishing the method are likely to be using a rod with a quiver tip.

greenie62

Reaction score
...Someone on Facebook has suggested trying the method feeder, Do I need bite alarms for this?

Nah mate - just a tip and watch it like a hawk - beware! :eek: some of those takes can be vicious - I've seen rods pulled in on commercials! :eek:mg:

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
I recently got a new rod actually Shimano Forcemaster AX 11' commercial mini float.

Would this do the trick, It's a VERY light rod I will probs be scared a carp would snap it :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
I recently got a new rod actually Shimano Forcemaster AX 11' commercial mini float.

Would this do the trick, It's a VERY light rod I will probs be scared a carp would snap it :D

Believe me, I bought Forcemasters for my nephew, they aren't especially light. They are intended to deal with commercial carp fishing. However, no float rod is intended for chucking dirty great method feeders about. That's not to say it won't do it. You might be ok, provided you don't use too big a feeder or try to cast to the horizon.

B

binka

Nah mate - just a tip and watch it like a hawk - beware! :eek: some of those takes can be vicious - I've seen rods pulled in on commercials! :eek:mg:

Second that...

If you're fishing with a baitrunner (freespool) reel then you have a bit of insurance but if not DON'T take your hand off the rod.

jac77794

Reaction score
I would say get a cheap sport direct feeder rod and combine it with a Drennan method feeder. Works great had small Skimmers to 9 lb 2oz carp on it. I don't chuck it far so only use the large 25g one with my homemade ground bait. Great fishing.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

robtherake

Reaction score
you could also get a sidewinder and put that with the carp rod, if its not too stiff a rod, works great and chips cheap

Seconded. They show drop-backs really well if you're fishing against an island or far margin and are the mutt's nuts for deep venues or narrow pegs.