KastKing Sharky II or KastKing Mela reel?

tomino2112

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just moved to england and looking to start fishing here. I will do most fishing in lakes and rivers, and will be on smaller fish for a while.

I have gotten the ugly stik medium 7" rod and now im shopping for a reel.

I have selected two and cannot decide which:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KastKing-Sharky-Waterproof-Spinning-Reel/dp/B01ABW2HFW/ size 2000 or 3000

Or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KastKing®-Mela-Spinning-Reel-Powerful/ size 3000

They appear to me pretty similar in specs. I visually like the Mela a lot, and its bit cheaper than sharky, but sharky seems to be more tested and reviewed. Also sharky I can have this week and go fish right away but for Mela I would have to wait 3 weeks....

Is it worth waiting for Mela or is it better to go for Sharky?

Thank you!

chrissh

Reaction score
Hi welcome
What sort of fishing is it you want to do … float fishing – feeder or lure (ugly stik medium 7" rod is that a spinning rod) if so I would go for a 2500 sized reel
You might find the rod is a bit too short for float fishing

tomino2112

Reaction score
Hi welcome
What sort of fishing is it you want to do … float fishing – feeder or lure (ugly stik medium 7" rod is that a spinning rod) if so I would go for a 2500 sized reel
You might find the rod is a bit too short for float fishing

Yes it is a spinning rod, here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

They also have 9" do you think that would be better? I have had before one rod that was somewhere between 7" and 8" and I though it was long enough already. Base don that I thought 7" would be enough.

I want something general enough to try all kinds of fishing until I settle on something I enjoy most and then can go for something better/more specific. I will not be doing any fly fishing though.

Neither of the reels I posted has 2500 size, both have either 2000 or 3000

chrissh

Reaction score
If you are going to Fish Rivers or cannels I would go for a 12 or 13ft float or feeder rod. If it’s commercial fishery’s a 10ft rod

A spinning rod not going to be any good for float or feeder fishing
As for the reel go for the 2000 loaded with 4lb line

If you are going to pay £30 plus for the reel … check out some of the deals on eBay for a rod and reel combo kit … Korum do a starter combo rod reel line floats or a feeder combo
Link Feeder Pack Starter Kit - Club Korum

tomino2112

Reaction score
If you are going to Fish Rivers or cannels I would go for a 12 or 13ft float or feeder rod. If it’s commercial fishery’s a 10ft rod

A spinning rod not going to be any good for float or feeder fishing
As for the reel go for the 2000 loaded with 4lb line

If you are going to pay £30 plus for the reel … check out some of the deals on eBay for a rod and reel combo kit … Korum do a starter combo rod reel line floats or a feeder combo
Link Feeder Pack Starter Kit - Club Korum

I am quite confused about the rod sizes... Ugly stik offers max 9" rod and reading lots of reviews and stories online people are doing all kinds of fishing with 7" and 9" rods, some even using 6" and 6"6'.

There are many mixed opinions, someone would not go fishing with anything shorter than 12" rods and many people are happily fishing with 7" rods.

I think I will not go for longer than 9" because I do want that specific rod and reading how people fishing with them, it should be good rod for pretty much any style. I am very confused and undecided between 7" and 9" though.

And I have decided I will match the rod with Sharky II reel size 2000.

Anyone has opinion about the rod size?

Thank you

chrissh

Reaction score
If that the rod you have decided on but it’s a spinning rod and meant for lures of spinners not for float or feeder fishing

tomino2112

Reaction score
If that the rod you have decided on but it’s a spinning rod and meant for lures of spinners not for float or feeder fishing

Is that a show stopper? I have found plenty of people doing float fishing with this rod

tomino2112

Reaction score
so why ask all the question on the rod if you have fond loads of people useing a spinning rod as a float rod ???

Well originally i was asking about the reel not the rod, and now I am not asking if thia is a good rod, I am just undecided about the rod size....

tomino2112

Reaction score
ok so if your going for the 9ft up the reel to the 3000 and put 6lb line on[/QUOTE UOTE]

Awesome, thanks for that. I judt been to local tackle shop and 7" is too short, 9" seems ideal, very comfortable size for me. I also saw some 2000 reels and they seemed tiny so i will totally go with your advice and up to 3000. 6lb linr os already on the way :)

Thanks, might post picture once i got everything together

iain t

Reaction score
This thread has totally confused me. The rod you bought is a spinning rod, no good for general fishing at all. Spinning and maybe floating a dog biscuit that's it. Not powerful for chucking our weights or feeders for carp and as for float/waggler fishing that's right out of the window. What you need is a minimum of a 10ft carp rod and in the same size a waggler rod. Then you have wider choices of general fishing

tomino2112

Reaction score
This thread has totally confused me. The rod you bought is a spinning rod, no good for general fishing at all. Spinning and maybe floating a dog biscuit that's it. Not powerful for chucking our weights or feeders for carp and as for float/waggler fishing that's right out of the window. What you need is a minimum of a 10ft carp rod and in the same size a waggler rod. Then you have wider choices of general fishing

I am no professional, but aren't you mixing things a bit? Isn't "carp rod" just a specific spinning rod? Same for "waggler/float rod". I dont see why you couldnt fish carp on both spinning or casting rod. If you say that I need heavy action 10ft rod (spinning or casting no matter) for carp fishing that would make sense.

Last time I fished was almost 2 decades ago and at that time only thing we had were "spinning rods" with reel and they were used for all kinds of fishing including what you call "carp" and "floating" and "feeding" these days.

I fail to see why could not I use simple rod for whatever leisure fishing I want to do. I am not looking to win competitions or catch the biggest one the lake have seen...

I have fished with VERY basic spinning rod from Decathlon, telescopic "spinning" rod for 10 pounds including reel, line and box with lures, 7.8ft long. I have tried casting, floating, feeders and sinking. Got fish every single time obviously nothing massive, but enough to enjoy. That is what I consider "general" fishing...

iain t

Reaction score
A spinning rod is no way like a Carp rod. For a start the action of the blanks are totally different. Spinning rods are a lot softer and will not cast properly. You will be overloading the spinning rod blank. Spinning rods are designed for casting out light spinner and lures not lead weight.
Fishing has changed a lot in 20 years. Every part of the kit has advanced.
I think you should look at a few Utube posting before you waste a lot of money

thecount

Reaction score
Sorry, there is no such thing as an "all rounder" rod, the ugly stik is a fine rod for it's purpose which is lure fishing for predators but you will be at a major disadvantage if you try using it for anything else

If you can get the oportunity to try a float rod for float fishing andyou will discover for yourself why this is the case