Knots

dodge k

Reaction score
What is the best not for tying eyed hooks, I know the knot less knot is one of the best but would like to know opinions, it's for small diameter line and small hooks I'm thinking palomar or 4 turn grinner but would like to know if anyone has ever had problems with one of these knots

Keith M

Reaction score
Ive been using the Grinner knot for years now and have never had any problems with it.

It's not a strangle knot (unlike the blood knot) and has a much better knot strength.
Another good knot I'm told (although I haven't used it yet) is the Palomar knot.

I also use the knotless knot sometimes if I need to tie a hair-rig and that's not bad either, but for everything else I use a Grinner.

NB: The Grinner knot was named after Richard Walkers son who's nickname was Grinner.

Keith

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
Palomar for me, very simple to tie and very strong. I would'nt recommend the knotless unless you need the hair because I think it has a weakness where the first turn is against the eye of the hook and it rubs/cuts through.

robtherake

Reaction score
I adopted the Palomar knot for eyed hooks and swivels a couple of years ago and haven't looked back; it's simple to tie, strong and reliable and doesn't suffer from slippage. I have never seen a Palomar break at the knot.

The only drawback is that the line needs to pass twice through the eye, so small-eyed hooks, particularly those under a size 14, can be problematic. I don't foresee any problems with fine lines, however; I managed to hair-rig some size 18 Drennan silverfish hair-riggers (the smallest hooks I've used for many years) to a 0.12mm line, despite barely being able to see the bloody eye. Oh, for the hawk-like vision of youth...:D

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Another vote for Palomar. Brilliant knot.

The other thing about the Palomar is that as well as being easy to tie, its one of the most consistantly strong knots as well. There are stronger knots out there, some have even been shown to give 100% of a lines breaking strain, but the problem is that to get the maximum knot strength they need to be tied literally perfectly which simply does not happen out in the field. Any slight flaw or variation in the tying can have a big impact on the knot strength after.

Tie a Palomar 100 times and it will always be a very strong knot plus it can be used on literally every material...nylon, braid, fluro etc.

About the only downside is as Rob says, you need to get the line through the eye twice but again in practice thats very rarely if ever going to become an issue.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Another palomar user here... so easy to tie, even with cold hands.

Also, it's self contained, in as much as you only need one end of the line to be free.

john10

Reaction score
What is the best not for tying eyed hooks, I know the knot less knot is one of the best but would like to know opinions, it's for small diameter line and small hooks I'm thinking palomar or 4 turn grinner but would like to know if anyone has ever had problems with one of these knots

Years ago I used to use the half blood or tucked half blood but changed to the grinner ages ago and latterly the palomar. No problems at all with either.

With regard to knots for loops, I tend to use the Rapala or (not as neat) the figure eight knot but a neater loop still is the perfection loop, used by fly anglers a lot on the butt end of leaders etc. It's a very neat loop with the tag end sticking out of the side at right angles. It's something I use on fly leaders but I've not got round to using it on my course fishing gear. Perhaps it's not as good on light lines? Has anyone had any problems with that knot?

slaphead

Reaction score
Grinner for me, too.

Otherwise, pre-tied Drennan or Kamazan hooks to nylon if I'm feeling lazy.