Chop worm

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Once you have chopped worm how long will it live for or be useable and if buy a bulk of worm what's best method to keep it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith M

Reaction score
I haven't used chopped worms yet; but I do use worms. I keep a small wormery full of Earth and sphagnum moss and I keep redworm and dendros in it; and feed them with a little lettuce, thinly sliced apples and potato peelings; and they keep all year.
My wormery is a plastic bucket with drainage holes in the base and I keep it on the garage floor where it's nice and cool.

At the start I have alternate layers of Earth and damp spagnum moss but as the year goes on it all gets mixed up.

NB:Spagnum moss can be bought very cheaply from plant nurseries.

When I use some of the worms I keep them in a baitbox full of damp sphagnum moss, where they can be kept lively for a week or two (if damaged ones are removed and it is kept damp); returning any unused worms to the wormery afterwards but making sure any damaged worms get discarded because dead and damaged worms are a sure way to kill the whole lot, quite quickly (for some reason or other).

Keith

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Brilliant , so you just dig them out when you need to ? Do they breed quite quickly ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Once you have chopped worm how long will it live for or be useable and if buy a bulk of worm what's best method to keep it ?

Once you chop a worm into little bits, you've effectively killed it. The resulting chop won't last much beyond a day or two, regardless of how it's kept. Chop is a bait that you should ideally look to use up on the day it's prepared.

You can keep live whole worms almost indefinitely. Much depends on how you keep them and look after them. I can't keep a wormery to keep them indefinitely and maybe even increase their numbers. However, with a bit of care, I've managed to keep dendrobenas in a fridge for up to six months or so. Brandlings and lobworms don't keep so well, or so easily, in a fridge.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Brilliant , I may look into making a wormary in garden or garage !

john step

Reaction score
See if you can track down with a search on here an article I submitted called My Wormery.

B

binka

Chopped worms can also be frozen but you need to do it quickly after chopping, as I've found out following cancelled sessions when I've got a kilo of 'em!

Otherwise the skins go limp and as grotesque as it might sound the attraction is in what comes out of them when they're cut.

Can anyone remember 'Worm Dust'?

Basically it was dehydrated, chopped worms in almost powder form which you supposedly added water to, to bring back to life the attraction but I can't remember who marketed it.

Hopeless stuff imo :eek:mg:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
An easy way to get a good supply of worms is to let them come to you.

If you buy a composter from B&Q or Wilko like this: Wilko Composter 220L at wilko.com

The very most important part is what you put in it... basically, any kitchen waste that is vegetable and UNCOOKED (the most important bit....).... so any peelings of potatoes or carrots, apple cores, banana skins, broccoli stems.... or anything in the fridge that vegetable that might be past its sell by - lettuce, tomatoes etc... all of it goes in here. You can also use put some garden waste in it as long as it's leafy (rather than woody) and isn't covered in soil.

Takes a little while to build up, but once it does the worms will come. And you'll have a fresh supply whenever you want them.

(I think you can also buy a stock of "compost worms" from some suppliers, sounds like cheating to me! :))

rayner

Reaction score
I rarely have worms left, on the odd occasion I don't use what I have I just keep them in the bag they come in. Keep them cool and add a bit of mashed potato, so long as you look after them they will last ages.
If I only have a few left I chop them then put them in a plastic bottle behind my shed and add a few every time I have extra they get the same treatment.
The result is all the chopped worms turn to liquid that smells more than a little, takes around 8 to 16 weeks dependant on how warm it is.
It's the only thing I class as an additive that I use. It's a bit whiffy but I can cope with that.

robtherake

Reaction score
Lobworms kept cool on my shed floor in a plastic tub keep for a long time - the secret's to keep them fed and I give them an occasional meal of leftover boiled and crushed potato (any finely divided veg waste will do), left on the surface of the soil for them to take in, and only re-feed when this has disappeared. The current stock, added to and subtracted from as needed, have lasted over 3 months and are still in good nick.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The result is all the chopped worms turn to liquid that smells more than a little, takes around 8 to 16 weeks dependant on how warm it is.
It's the only thing I class as an additive that I use. It's a bit whiffy but I can cope with that.

A bit whiffy ??? :eek: Having sampled the delights of the stench of putrefied worm I would suggest that it is somewhat more than "a bit whiffy". It is indescribably unpleasant :puke::puke::puke:

If the military could find a way of weaponising worm slurry there'd be no need for nuclear weapons.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Is there any special soil I should use for worms and would help putting in some leaves too ? Was thinking to buy a kilo of worm but wasn't sure how I could keep them for a while

robtherake

Reaction score
Is there any special soil I should use for worms and would help putting in some leaves too ? Was thinking to buy a kilo of worm but wasn't sure how I could keep them for a while

Garden soil's as good as anything. See my earlier post on this thread for how to keep them sweet. In any case, shop-bought worms are invariably soft and easy to cast off, having been reared in a soft medium - a day or two in soil sees them toughen up nicely.

rayner

Reaction score
:thumbs:
A bit whiffy ??? :eek: Having sampled the delights of the stench of putrefied worm I would suggest that it is somewhat more than "a bit whiffy". It is indescribably unpleasant :puke::puke::puke:

If the military could find a way of weaponising worm slurry there'd be no need for nuclear weapons.

Yes it's more as you suggest. However there are methods to impair the whiff and that's the way it's used.
Squeezy bottles work wonders, and the prepared liquid definitely does work.
Keep it off your skin or clothes makes for a quiet life when you get home:thumbs: