When is a margin not a margin?

Reaction score
This is probably a really daft question, but I have heard margin fishing referred to. My first cheapy pole was an 8m Milo Spider Margin Pole, which taught me the basics and was adequate.

My Mrs bought me a Maver 12.5m Jurassic Carp pole for Xmas which I have not had a chance to test out yet.

So when the margins are referred to, is it the areas directly to the left and right of your swim along the bank? And how far does a margin go out from the bank, and when does it become "open water" swim?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Well other may know better but I'd say what you need to do is plumb the depth of the swim and the margin stops when you find the area where the water gets deeeper - this may be 2 ft out or 6 foot out depending on hte venue

Yeaster day I fished a swim with reeds to my left and open water in front - after setting up a feeder rod and fishing the open water I fed corn close to the reeds - after 1/2 hours the reeds where moving as a carp fed.

After another 1/2 hour I had a nice common of about 4lb take the corn hook bait and in the net

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Just because the pole says its a 'Margin' pole doesn't mean you have to poke the float right into the margins of your swim. I think it's named so because the first ones were just 4-6metres in length and that was about the range you could fish, but since then they've been extended to 8, 9 and even 10 metres (one is 11 I believe) and so you can use them to fish further out if you wish.

One other point about them is that they were supposed to be a stronger pole, but some, like the one you now have, was always an animal tamer anyway. Both of those you have are good poles, keep them and use as you think fit.

PS - the definition of a margin is that area that separates the water from the ground or a strong bunch of reeds maybe, however deep the water may be in front of it. The margin may be festooned with weeds and reeds and some of it you could hardly fish at all. The area you fish is just off the margin, of course.
Heres an article with some advice in it, and this next one is Part 2 Do a search, you may find more.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Just because the pole says its a 'Margin' pole doesn't mean you have to poke the float right into the margins of your swim. I think it's named so because the first ones were just 4-6metres in length and that was about the range you could fish, but since then they've been extended to 8, 9 and even 10 metres (one is 11 I believe) and so you can use them to fish further out if you wish.

One other point about them is that they were supposed to be a stronger pole, but some, like the one you now have, was always an animal tamer anyway. Both of those you have are good poles, keep them and use as you think fit.

PS - the definition of a margin is that area that separates the water from the ground or a strong bunch of reeds maybe, however deep the water may be in front of it. The margin may be festooned with weeds and reeds and some of it you could hardly fish at all. The area you fish is just off the margin, of course.
Heres an article with some advice in it, and this next one is Part 2 Do a search, you may find more.

Those links dont work Geoff
i would go for plumbing the depth till you reach 18 inches to 2 foot
you can fish the pole along the bank aswell as in front of you
One place I go too I fish one foot out and 5 foot to my left